NARA

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
ducatim901

NARA

Post by ducatim901 » 27 Sep 2005, 01:08

I know i can get information about german divisions on microfilm from NARA, but can i also get infomation on the regiments of these divisions??
Greetings Jack Koorneef

logibear64

NARA

Post by logibear64 » 18 Oct 2005, 02:59

Do you mean specifically war diaries "kriegstagbücher" for an individual regiments in a Heer division? The answer is no. With a few exceptions the smallest organic unit is at the division level. However, the division records will contain battle reports and orders, communications for to each regiment etc. I might add that in the case of Heer units the personnel records are very slim. So if you seek promotions, assignments and vorschlags for Ritterkreuz and DKiG's the divisional records in 99% of the time will not have them.

I have found Korps and Armee level records to be of even greater use because they do in many cases include information about casualties and individual awards. Here again you will find information on the activities of individual regiments, battalions, and kampfgruppe. Also korps and Armee KTB’s list the TO&E and chains of command for the divisions assigned to a Korps or Armee. So even though you cannot find information about a particular regiment helpful in the divisions’ records try a higher formation.

The bad news is that the archives records cover only the periods from 1939 to early 1944. If the information you seek is from about March 44 till the end you’ll be disappointed.

Phil

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 11 Nov 2005, 00:21

Logibear64 wrote:
The bad news is that the archives records cover only the periods from 1939 to early 1944. If the information you seek is from about March 44 till the end you’ll be disappointed.
The above is true for Armeekorps records. In almost all cases, these go to the end of December 1943 and not beyond. However, Heeresgruppe records often go to the end of 1944 and Armee records to September 1944.

The reason records below the level of the division are unavailable is because they were all archived in the west wing of the Heeresarchiv in Potsdam, which was severely bombed and set on fire in February 1945. The Heeresgruppe, Armee, Armeekorps and Division records were in other parts of the building and for the most part survived.

--Larry

Return to “Archives”