NARA and German personnel files

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Daniel L

NARA and German personnel files

Post by Daniel L » 09 Jan 2006, 16:20

Does NARA have an online list of all the personnel files of German army officers they have in their archives? I guess one could call it sort of an inventory list.

Best regards/ Daniel

steve248

NARA

Post by steve248 » 20 Jan 2006, 23:00

I am fairly sure that NARA does have microfilm copies of Army Officer files and that there
is available a lists similar to that of their SSO files: a microfilm roll number with the first and last name on the roll.

I have not seen such a listing on their website but no doubt they can e-mail you with one if you write asking for one.

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 21 Jan 2006, 00:20

Daniel
I did not find online list but the enquiry email system is good. They do not reply really quickly but for example in December I raised a question about a Generalmajor. I did not search their site at all.
Last week in the mail I recieved FOR FREE a photocpoy of 5 pages of his personnel file, 3 typewritten statements about his commands at the end of the war, a questionaire he responded to about the Ardennes campaign and a list of the document files and the relevant microfilm order form if i wanted more info. I repeat this was all sent to me for free based on an email name enquiry.
IMHO excellent service
Kind regards
Matt Gibbs

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 21 Jan 2006, 01:07

Thanks guys, I'll follow your advices.

Best regards/ Daniel

Bob Forczyk

NARA Personnel files

Post by Bob Forczyk » 22 Jan 2006, 16:52

I live near NARA and use the German personnel files on a regular basis.
The SS files for officers and enlisted men are better organized, but still a bit messy to look through. At least the SS files usually have frame numbers.

The other Wehrmacht files come in three basic batches, so to search for any individual, you have to look through up to three different rolls to see if he is on it. Furthermore, only individuals alive in April 1945 are usually present, although some well-known officers who were KIA are also present. These rolls usually do not have frame numbers and are rather tedious to go through - my rate is about one individual per 40-50 minutes. If you do find your man, you can get up to 100 pages of documents (some duplicates), typically including service records, a photo and major awards (like Knights Cross). The SS records include a lot of family background type info, including photos of relatives and all sorts of character witness statements - seems like less on actual combat performance.

The blokes who work in the microfilm room try to be helpful but at times they are more of a hindrance. When I asked them if Knights Cross awards were listed in these personnel files they told me they weren't, but then I quickly found 4-5 in these files.

Bob

Return to “Archives”