LW Torpedo Availability,

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Brady

LW Torpedo Availability,

Post by Brady » 16 Oct 2019, 00:44

LW Torpedo Availability,

I have been doing searches on this forum trying different combinations and I have yet to find any kind of decent reference for production numbers of LW torpedo's, or of delivery numbers from Italian sources, of which thousands were on order from.

In the med in 41 and 42 I have counted at least 300 being expended on operations, using crude sources

Does anyone have any solid info on this ?

Natter

Re: LW Torpedo Availability,

Post by Natter » 17 Oct 2019, 02:12

I'm just in here for a brief look before going to bed, so I don't have the opportunity to look up any info from my library/archive, but this information would be available from the Munitionslage or similar inventories that was produced on a monthly basis or so (available at BaMa, in the Luftwaffe archives - RL).
If you have access to Laucks book, there's a quite comprehensive table there, listing the numbers of produced/available and expended torpedoes for each month throughout the war (I can get a scan of this later if you can't find it yourself).
Similar inventories were also made for Kriegsmarine, and can be found at BaMa as well as the Kriegsmarine-records at NARA (various microfilm-rolls in the T-1022 publication).

Brady

Post by Brady » 17 Oct 2019, 02:15

I don’t have access to Lauck book unfortunately, but it sounds like it has just what I am after... if you could scan and post that it would be great !

Natter

Post by Natter » 17 Oct 2019, 17:43

Some tables from the book in question:
Attachments
CCF_000034a.jpg
CCF_000033a.jpg
CCF_000028a.jpg
CCF_000027a.jpg

Brady

Post by Brady » 17 Oct 2019, 18:25

The Holy Grail !

The Title of the Book is ?

Table two is monthly averages ?

And it is only for those two types right ?

Natter

Post by Natter » 17 Oct 2019, 21:32

Brady wrote:The Title of the Book is ?
Der Lufttorpedo. Entwicklung und Technik in Deutschland 1915-1945 (Friedrich Lauck, 1981. Bernhard & Graefe Verlag. ISBN 3-7637-5230-7 ). It used to be hard to find, but I can see several at offer on AbeBooks and eBay for quite decent prices, so you should probably take the opportunity to get hold of one now.
Brady wrote:Table two is monthly averages ?
Hmm... I'm not sure. My german is really rubbish (to put it mildly). The text referring to the table says "jeweils im dezember des angegebenen jahres waren vorhanden", and I'm not sure if it means a summary for the end of the year, or just the numbers for desember..?

I've read somewhere that this kind of information was highly secret (especially the specific dates for the inventory) and hard to find in the original records.
Brady wrote:And it is only for those two types right ?
Table 2? It just says LT's, which must be a summary for all types. The F5b variants (German) and the F5w (Italian) was the major models used thorughout the war so they would naturally make out the bulk of these numbers anyway.

Brady

Post by Brady » 17 Oct 2019, 23:47

Thank you again

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”