Nakajima G10N1 Fugaku

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
User avatar
Phil D.
Member
Posts: 247
Joined: 09 Jul 2002 01:04
Location: Bronx, NY

Nakajima G10N1 Fugaku

Post by Phil D. » 24 Jul 2003 21:14

Does anybody have any links to info and pictures on the Nakajima G10N1 Fugaku heavy bomber. From a simle description I read about it it seems very interesting. 6 5,000hp engines a 40000kg bomload, and a range close to 10000 miles, while travelling at over 400 mph! Thanks in advance!

Phil
Last edited by Phil D. on 25 Jul 2003 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
K.Kocjancic
Member
Posts: 6650
Joined: 27 Mar 2003 19:57
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

Post by K.Kocjancic » 24 Jul 2003 21:24


daveh
Member
Posts: 1437
Joined: 11 Feb 2003 18:14
Location: uk

Post by daveh » 24 Jul 2003 21:34

try http://www.marksindex.com/japaneseaviat ... gaku_1.gif

Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific WAr by R J Francillon has brief details.

User avatar
K.Kocjancic
Member
Posts: 6650
Joined: 27 Mar 2003 19:57
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

Post by K.Kocjancic » 24 Jul 2003 21:36

daveh wrote:try http://www.marksindex.com/japaneseaviat ... gaku_1.gif

Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific WAr by R J Francillon has brief details.



Is that the right link, because I
The page cannot be displayed

ShindenKai
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: 29 Jan 2012 05:43

Re: Nakajima G10N1 Fugaku

Post by ShindenKai » 31 Jan 2012 20:00

I wouldn't really call this reference material...but its something: http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ14420
-its a 1/144 scale model by Fujimi of the Fugaku...

User avatar
Ironmachine
Member
Posts: 5482
Joined: 07 Jul 2005 10:50
Location: Spain

Re: Nakajima G10N1 Fugaku

Post by Ironmachine » 31 Jan 2012 20:57

Well, with this old thread so resurrected, it probably wouldn't mind if I add another link:
http://www.j-aircraft.org/xplanes/hikoki_files/g10.htm


Dili
Member
Posts: 2137
Joined: 24 Jun 2007 22:54
Location: Lusitania

Re: Nakajima G10N1 Fugaku

Post by Dili » 01 Feb 2012 06:34

You should be careful with performances list, it usually means the maximum of all. The max ranges is with lowest bomb load. Sometimes even without. Also 40000kg is obviously a typo. And the weights in wikipedia seem a fairy tale.

User avatar
Sewer King
Member
Posts: 1711
Joined: 18 Feb 2004 04:35
Location: northern Virginia

Re: Nakajima G10N1 Fugaku

Post by Sewer King » 28 Mar 2012 04:32

Ironmachine wrote:Well, with this old thread so resurrected, it probably wouldn't mind if I add another link:
http://www.j-aircraft.org/xplanes/hikoki_files/g10.htm
Likewise, an old parallel thread about G10N in the Forum's "Japan at War" section. A color rendering and other links were uploaded to it.

There is much information about German and American high-altitude aviation study and design, for both men and aircraft. These later connected to early manned spaceflight. Is there much known about what was studied in Imperial Japan, which would have been needed for such a long-range bomber? Even though the design went no further.

-- Alan

Cantankerous
Member
Posts: 301
Joined: 01 Sep 2019 21:22
Location: Newport Coast

Re: Nakajima G10N1 Fugaku

Post by Cantankerous » 06 Aug 2020 01:25

Sewer King wrote:
28 Mar 2012 04:32
Ironmachine wrote:Well, with this old thread so resurrected, it probably wouldn't mind if I add another link:
http://www.j-aircraft.org/xplanes/hikoki_files/g10.htm
Likewise, an old parallel thread about G10N in the Forum's "Japan at War" section. A color rendering and other links were uploaded to it.

There is much information about German and American high-altitude aviation study and design, for both men and aircraft. These later connected to early manned spaceflight. Is there much known about what was studied in Imperial Japan, which would have been needed for such a long-range bomber? Even though the design went no further.

-- Alan
These two threads may have to be merged because they focus on the same topic, and once they are, the title of this thread should be changed to "Nakajima Fugaku bomber" because the Fugaku never received a military designation judging from Japanese documents.

Cantankerous
Member
Posts: 301
Joined: 01 Sep 2019 21:22
Location: Newport Coast

Re: Nakajima G10N1 Fugaku

Post by Cantankerous » 06 Aug 2020 23:02

Dili wrote:
01 Feb 2012 06:34
You should be careful with performances list, it usually means the maximum of all. The max ranges is with lowest bomb load. Sometimes even without. Also 40000kg is obviously a typo. And the weights in wikipedia seem a fairy tale.
The original Project Z design had a higher empty and gross weight than the Fugaku. The Project Z with the stepped cockpit had a slightly longer wingspan than the Fugaku.

Cantankerous
Member
Posts: 301
Joined: 01 Sep 2019 21:22
Location: Newport Coast

Re: Nakajima G10N1 Fugaku

Post by Cantankerous » 06 Aug 2020 23:58

ShindenKai wrote:
31 Jan 2012 20:00
I wouldn't really call this reference material...but its something: http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ14420
-its a 1/144 scale model by Fujimi of the Fugaku...
The airplane model featured at this weblink is the earlier Project Z design with a 213 ft span and length of 147 feet, as well as four Ha-54s driving counter-rotating propellers. The original Project Z design also differed from the Fugaku in having a stepped cockpit. See Dyer (2009) for more details.

Dyer, Edwin M. III (2009). Japanese Secret Projects: Experimental aircraft of the IJA and IJN 1939–1945 (1st ed.). Hinkley, UK: Midland Publishing. pp. 108–111. ISBN 978-1-85780-317-4.

Cantankerous
Member
Posts: 301
Joined: 01 Sep 2019 21:22
Location: Newport Coast

Re: Nakajima G10N1 Fugaku

Post by Cantankerous » 07 Aug 2020 00:22

Sewer King wrote:
28 Mar 2012 04:32
Ironmachine wrote:Well, with this old thread so resurrected, it probably wouldn't mind if I add another link:
http://www.j-aircraft.org/xplanes/hikoki_files/g10.htm
Likewise, an old parallel thread about G10N in the Forum's "Japan at War" section. A color rendering and other links were uploaded to it.

There is much information about German and American high-altitude aviation study and design, for both men and aircraft. These later connected to early manned spaceflight. Is there much known about what was studied in Imperial Japan, which would have been needed for such a long-range bomber? Even though the design went no further.

-- Alan
Good question. Japan built its first heavy bomber comparable to the B-29 Superfortress in length and span, but it wasn't designed to fly as high as the B-29 or B-32. The G8N Renzan could fly as high as the B-29 Superfortress but was only about as big as the B-17 and B-24, and the Kawasaki Ki-91 as well as the Project Z/Fugaku designs were capable of flying at high-altitude like the B-29, B-32, and B-36.

Cantankerous
Member
Posts: 301
Joined: 01 Sep 2019 21:22
Location: Newport Coast

Re:

Post by Cantankerous » 07 Aug 2020 00:33

daveh wrote:
24 Jul 2003 21:34
try http://www.marksindex.com/japaneseaviat ... gaku_1.gif

Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific WAr by R J Francillon has brief details.
The Fugaku entry on page 493 of Francillion's book has the max takeoff weight and maximum speed for the original Nakajima Project Z design mixed up with the Fugaku specifications. The Project Z design with the stepped cockpit had a max take weight of 160,000 kg (vs. 70,000 kg for Fugaku) and a top speed of 423 mph (the Fugaku would have had a top speed of 484 mph).

Cantankerous
Member
Posts: 301
Joined: 01 Sep 2019 21:22
Location: Newport Coast

Re: Nakajima G10N1 Fugaku

Post by Cantankerous » 07 Aug 2020 01:33

Drawings of the interior of the original Project Z design can be found at this link:

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/thread ... g12.14582/

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”