LW transport fleet - losses, operations, stock, production

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: LW transport fleet - losses, operations, stock, production

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 23 Jan 2021 16:51

Thanks Andy. I don't remember seeing that title before.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 25 Jan 2021 20:53

I see there was a December 1943 operation in the east to transport a Para Div by air. Apparently the operations was successful, tho it was not a paradrop. Anyone have anything that would indicate the size? How many transports, how many sorties, how many soldiers moved, any support weapons?

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 25 Feb 2021 19:21

I am doing some research and I found this thread. I am researching the Italian paracadutisti and I am addressing transport aircraft. I was looking for the number of LW transport aircraft in September 1939.

I read this at the start of this thread.
Stock at start of war: 552 available (100 in dedicated transport groups, 450 available elsewhere, includes schools)
Given the normal back and forth on sources and data, are the numbers above still valid? I didn't see these numbers change after reading the discussion. If still good, can I get a full cite on the source for these numbers?

Thank you!

Pista! Jeff
battaglione Alpini sciatori Monte Cervino (Reenacted)
5th Greek Regiment
9th reggimento bersaglieri

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 25 Feb 2021 20:45

jwsleser wrote:
25 Feb 2021 19:21
I am doing some research and I found this thread. I am researching the Italian paracadutisti and I am addressing transport aircraft. I was looking for the number of LW transport aircraft in September 1939.

I read this at the start of this thread.
Stock at start of war: 552 available (100 in dedicated transport groups, 450 available elsewhere, includes schools)
Given the normal back and forth on sources and data, are the numbers above still valid? I didn't see these numbers change after reading the discussion. If still good, can I get a full cite on the source for these numbers?

Thank you!

Pista! Jeff
Hi Jeff

I can confirm the 552 as being the first line inventory as per August 31st 1939, which is detailed in the book 'German Aircraft Industry and Production 1933-45' by Vajda & Dancey Pg49. This references the following primary source as Chef Genst Qu.6.Abt.vom 2.9.1939

Regards

Andy H

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 25 Feb 2021 21:33

Excellent! Thank you.

I am comparing Germany which employed paratroopers multiple times in 1940 to that of Italy which didn't. There certainly are multiple factors at play, but I was pinning down the transport capability.

Italy in Nov 1939 had 1 SM 82 with 50 under construction. Like Germany, Italy used several different types of aircraft as transports, but none had been built specifically as a transport. None of those aircraft were organized as transport squadrons, but are assigned to bomber units.

The transport fleet in June 1940 before « Progamma R » was completed consisted of 51 aircraft of various types (including 12 SM 82), most mobilized from civil use.

« Progamma R » (to be competed in Nov 1940) planned only 4 transport squadrons (36 aircraft).

To tie back into the Ju 52 discussion, the Italian had four Ju 52s to fly liaison/communication missions.

Source is Santoro L'aeronautica italiana nella seconda guerra mondiale tomo I p. 90.
battaglione Alpini sciatori Monte Cervino (Reenacted)
5th Greek Regiment
9th reggimento bersaglieri

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 26 Feb 2021 15:59

Hi jwsleser

From the same book, the figures in terms of strength (which doesn't always equate to serviceability) up until 1941 are:-

March'40 466
June '40 357
Sept'40 365
Dec'40 415

Regards

Andy H

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”