Heinkel post-war projects

Discussions on other historical eras.
Petrus

Heinkel post-war projects

Post by Petrus » 17 Aug 2006, 13:17

I seek any info on aircraft that was being designed by Ernst Heinkel AFTER the WW2. As far as I know he worked on a (presumably jet) fighter-bomber for Egypt and a jet fighter for Spain.
http://www.designation-systems.net/non-us/spain.html says that the airplane for Spain was designated as CASA/Heinkel CH-101 and its military designation was to be the C.7.
This is what I have found on the Heinkel's works in Spain in the "Secret Messerschmitt Projects" by Willy Radinger and Walter Schick:
Ernst Heinkel [...] worked in Stuttgart on a light-fighter design which apparently mirrored the ideas of the leaders of the Spanish Air Force more so than those of the somewhat heavier Messerschmitt aircraft.
The delta-winged fighter HE C-101 from the Heinkel Chief Engineer Siegfried Günther was based on the experiences he had gained with the design of a fighter-bomber for Egypt.
I would be really grateful for any info on the matter, including Internet links or titles of books etc. that cover the subjects. Any pictures would be appreciated very much.

Thanks in advance,
Piotr

PPoS

Post by PPoS » 17 Aug 2006, 16:01

On this site the fighter designated C.7 is surely the CASA/Heinkel CH-101, however it was only a project and never built.

http://www.designation-systems.net/non-us/spain.html

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 17 Aug 2006, 19:46

Many years ago I read something about this plane in the Spanish military magazine Defensa. Please note that I do not have the magazine, what I'm going to tell you is what I recall, and since many years have passed I could be wrong.
As I recall, the airplane was called "Alacrán" (Scorpion) and was a light-weight fighter that was designed to operate from natural caves in the mountains of south Spain. The purpose was to fight a possible Moroccan invasion, as the modern planes of the Spanish Air Force (given by the United States) were not allowed to operate against Morocco. The project was finally abandoned as it was decided that the small number of planes projected would make no difference if the situation was such that the enemy was already within range of this aircraft.
Maybe the magazine had some technical data, but I do not remember. There was an artistic drawing of the plane preparing to take off, but I do not know how "real" the depiction was.
That is all I remember. This was the only time I saw something about this plane, so I think it would be difficult for you to learn more about it. Hope this helps.

Petrus

Post by Petrus » 17 Aug 2006, 20:57

Ironmachine wrote:M the airplane was called "Alacrán" (Scorpion) and was a light-weight fighter that was designed to operate from natural caves in the mountains of south Spain. The purpose was to fight a possible Moroccan invasion, as the modern planes of the Spanish Air Force (given by the United States) were not allowed to operate against Morocco.
Thank you very much for your replying my question. I have too heard something about the Alacrán. It was designed in the late 1960s or in the early 1970s by the Hispano. Take a look at http://flightlevel.elgratissitio.com/cu ... rioso2.htm as well as http://www.funaereacv.es/Ciclo_Conferen ... B1oles.htm (you must scroll down up to Presentación - click it and download a pdf-document where you may find plenty drawings of Hispano-designed aircraft of the 1950s and 1960s).

So I am afraid that the HA-500 Alacrán was not a Heinkel design. It was developed by the Hispano Aviacion, a company that Willy Messerschmitt had worked for. Heinkel's team cooperated with the CASA and their works took place in the early 1950s (I presume) not at least ten years afterwards. Besides it appears that Heinkel worked on a fighter plane not a light attack aircraft.

Anyway I appreciate your answer.

Best regards,
Piotr

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 18 Aug 2006, 08:52

Seeing the photos in your links, this was definitively the plane I was talking about. I recalled German engineer participation in the project, but it must be Messerschmitt as you said. A pity that I can't help you more.

Petrus

Re: Heinkel post-war projects

Post by Petrus » 29 May 2008, 14:41

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 23 Apr 2010, 23:36

Petrus, if you are still interested in the C-101, there is an article (in Spanish, but with nice drawings) about it in the December 2009 number of Revista de Aeronáutica y Astronáutica.
You can download freely the magazine here:
http://www.portalcultura.mde.es/Galeria ... 9_2009.pdf
Regards.

Petrus

Post by Petrus » 27 Apr 2010, 10:08

I am always interested in those aircraft. I have already had this issue of the Spanish magazine from the Secret Projects Forum. The article on the Heinkel project is very interesting indeed even though I cannot understand it all ;). But the original drawings speak for themselves.

By the way, do you know any sources which might contain information on planned armament options for the Messerschmitt's HA-300? From "Messerschmitt Geheimprojekte", whose English version I have read, I know that the HA-300 would have had as its internal armament two 30mm guns of Swiss origin or "rocket cannon" firing 5cm Oerlikon rockets. Elsewhere I found info that two Sidewinders would have formed the fighter's air-to-air weaponry. The book mentions also some air-to-ground weapons but does not specify them. And this interests me much at the time.

Piotr

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 27 Apr 2010, 19:52

Well, may be I can help you with those parts of the article that you don't understand.

Regarding the HA-300, unfortunately I can't help you with more details about the armament. There may be some information in the book La Hispano Aviación: Proyectos HA-100, 200 y 300 by Salas Larrazábal (unfortunately, there is only the Spanish version, AFAIK). I have not read it, but the author is well-versed in the history of the Spanish Air Force, and the book is published by the Spanish Ministry of Defense, so it may have the information that you are looking for...
http://www.portalcultura.mde.es/publica ... _0009.html

Regards.

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous » 26 May 2022, 00:55

Heinkel in the late 1950s and early 1960s came out with design studies for the He 211 airliner project, of which the He 211A would have a turboprop-powered replacement for the DC-3 and the He 211B was to have had two General Electric CF 700 turbofans. More info on the He 211 is provided at this link:
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/thread ... raft.3498/

Return to “Other eras”