Italian A/C's

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Andy H
Forum Staff

Italian A/C's

Post by Andy H » 15 Nov 2002, 22:45

The Italians proposed to convert the passenger liners Roma & Augustus into the A/C's Aquila & Sparviero, plus a further 2 converstions were planned. It is the 2 further converstions I'm interested in, does anyone have any info concerning them.

As far as I'm aware the plans for the converstion of the Italian Cruiser Bolzano and the captured French Cruiser Foch (With the ability to carry 12 Re2001) isn't the two further converstions I'm looking for above

:D Andy from the Shire

Cantankerous

Re: Italian A/C's

Post by Cantankerous » 16 May 2020, 22:45

Hogg and Wiper (2004) discuss in detail unrealized plans to convert the cruiser Bolzano into an aircraft carrier. The Regia Marina operated the seaplane carrier Giuseppe Miraglia in the Mediterranean during World War II (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_s ... e_Miraglia).

Hogg, Gordon E. & Wiper, Steve (2004). Warship Pictorial 23: Italian Heavy Cruisers of World War II. Flowers, T. A. (illustrator). Tucson: Classic Warships Publishing.

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”