Spitfire and Messerschmitt 109

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 17 Nov 2002, 21:28

Wow, altough too short to dry my thirst. :D

regards

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 17 Nov 2002, 21:54

Cant log on :(

gabriel pagliarani

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 18 Nov 2002, 01:34

...But both planes have the same sound!!!...probably the 109's engine is a Merlin retrofitted in Spain or in Switzerland after the war. I have heard (20 years ago) the song of the Alfa-Romeo "Tifone" (DB 601 build in Arese)of a beatiful MC202 "Folgore" restored by AMI Museum in Anguillara and it sounds completely different from this one. It shouts more and more deeply than the Merlin...

varjag
In memoriam

Post by varjag » 18 Nov 2002, 14:19

Excalibur - your Me-109 pic was sheer poetry! Thanks for it. I assume that was a an F-series a/c. What about the intake shape of the 'desert' air-filter for the carbie-intake, didn't look original to me but modified. But then again - very little Bf 109 flying today is all original. As for the wroar of the engines - and I've heard both Merlins and DB's - the Merlin to me seems a little bit smoother and softer.I wish I could say the difference between a Jaguar and Mercedes, but it's not - it's more like the Jag and a BMW.

The Desert Fox

Nice Discovery

Post by The Desert Fox » 18 Nov 2002, 14:34

Very nice website discovery excalibur596. The sound files where a joy.

regards
The Desert Fox

Percy Mandible

Post by Percy Mandible » 24 Nov 2002, 18:05

Wonderful sounds. Thanks for that.
When I was working at White Waltham aerodrome back in the 70s, Wing Commander Wheeler (then about 76) kept his personal 'Spitfire' Mk IX at Booker airfield, a few miles away. When the mood took him, Wheeler would fly a tour of the surviving wartime airfields in the area - not landing, but doing a few victory rolls and low passes. With the arrival of the familiar sound, the whole of the design office tumbled out onto the tarmac to enjoy the brief show. Then off he'd fly to his next port of call.
Once, when there was to be a week-end airshow at White Waltham, all through that week terrific 'stuff' came flying in. I was most impressed by the Gladiator, which floated in with its Mercury engine sounding so perfectly tuned and smooth - subdued, but with a hint of restrained power. Not at all like the typical chatter of the P & W that I was more used to.

Cantankerous

Re: Spitfire and Messerschmitt 109

Post by Cantankerous » 22 May 2020, 22:57

After being caught off guard at the Spitfire and Hurricane being more maneuverable compared to the Bf 109, did Messerschmitt or Focke-Wulf ever have the chance to design German piston-engine fighter planes that could be as maneuverable as the Hurricane and Spitfire?

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”