Recommended reading on the Luftwaffe

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Benoit Douville

Re: Recommended reading on the Luftwaffe

Post by Benoit Douville » 05 Aug 2008, 00:16

The amazing series Black Cross & Red Star:

http://www.bergstrombooks.elknet.pl/bc-rs/

Volume 4 is comming soon!

Regards

Bergveen

Post by Bergveen » 10 Oct 2008, 15:52

There are many Luftwaffe books published by SCHIFFER (USA). Many books on the individual Jagdgeschwader, the whole air war aso.

Mauser K98k

Post by Mauser K98k » 28 Jan 2009, 19:31

A good book if you can find it is Luftwaffe Air Diaries by Cajus Bekker. It was first published in 1964 in the German language under the title Angriffshöhe 4000 and translated into English in 1966 and published by MacDonald & Company Ltd.

The book is an overview of the history of the Luftwaffe from the invasion of Poland on, and covers all major operations on all fronts. It is a blend of objective historical fact, personal accounts, eyewitness reports and borrows from several well-known German and Allied publications such as Galland's The First And The Last, Priller's History Of A Fighter Wing, the USAAF's The Army Air Forces In WWII and Richard and Sanders' Royal Air Force 1939-1945. It has many photos, and also has a respectable 19 appendices containing much good information such as orders of battle, tables of losses, aircraft production tables and so forth. This book will probably hold nothing new for many members of this forum, but it is a great read for those who are new to Luftwaffe History.

Sven-Eric
Banned

Post by Sven-Eric » 18 Jul 2009, 20:02

I am looking for books, in any language, with detailed information about the aircraft that was used by the Luftwaffe the first half of the 1930s, up to 1935. I am interested in technical specifications of all the bomber aircrafts that was in operation during this time. Hope someone has info about this.

Regards,
Sven-Eric

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 18 Jul 2009, 23:59

Sven-Eric wrote:I am looking for books, in any language, with detailed information about the aircraft that was used by the Luftwaffe the first half of the 1930s, up to 1935. I am interested in technical specifications of all the bomber aircrafts that was in operation during this time. Hope someone has info about this.
Regards,
Sven-Eric
The Luftwaffe did not exist prior to 1935:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luftwaffe

Sven-Eric
Banned

Post by Sven-Eric » 19 Jul 2009, 01:44

Larry D. wrote:
The Luftwaffe did not exist prior to 1935:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luftwaffe
I stand corrected. So my question concerns the period February - December 1935.

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 19 Jul 2009, 14:54

There were perhaps 15 or 16 different types in service during the first 10 months of the Luftwaffe’s existence. These two works cover them in detail:

Green, William, The Warplanes of the Third Reich (Garden City (NY), 1972).
Smith, J.R. and Antony L. Kay, German Aircraft Of The Second World War (London, 1972).

Sven-Eric
Banned

Post by Sven-Eric » 19 Jul 2009, 20:41

Many thanks for this, Larry. I also heard about a book by Gunston and Wood named "Hitler's Luftwaffe". Heard of it? Is it any good?

Regards,
Sven-Eric

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 20 Jul 2009, 00:48

Sven-Eric wrote:Many thanks for this, Larry. I also heard about a book by Gunston and Wood named "Hitler's Luftwaffe". Heard of it? Is it any good?
Regards,
Sven-Eric
Yes, it's a good effort but it's not as detailed as the two I mentioned earlier. The Green and Smith/Kay books are still considered the standard references.

Larry

FANGIO

Post by FANGIO » 08 Oct 2009, 18:46

I want a buy a book containing portraits (photos) of Luftwaffe Knight's Cross holders (fighter aces and their stories).
I just saw this book: Fighter Aces of the Luftwaffe (Ray Toliver Trevor J. Constable).

On Schiffer's web site it says it contains more than 600 photographs. But it also says it has "accurate pen portraits", I really don´t want "pen portraits".

Could anybody give me an advice if this book is worth buying considering that what I want the most is to have photographs of the fighter aces? I will really appreciate any help.
Best,

FANGIO

kamehouse

Post by kamehouse » 08 Oct 2009, 21:51

I thoroughly enjoyed "The Luftwaffe over Germany,defense of the Reich" by Caldwell and Muller.Excellent book centered on the day fighters units defending the Reich.
Barbarossa-the air battle:July-December 1941 by Christer Bergström is also very good.I still have to read the next 3 volumes about "Stalingrad","Kursk" and "Bagration to Berlin" though.

penn

Post by penn » 11 Dec 2009, 07:06

The Last Year of the Luftwaffe by Alfred Price is a good piece of reference material dealing with the insurmountable problems facing the Luftwaffe from May 1944 to May 1945.

Penn

Zerstörer110

Post by Zerstörer110 » 05 Mar 2011, 03:50

FANGIO wrote:I want a buy a book containing portraits (photos) of Luftwaffe Knight's Cross holders (fighter aces and their stories).
I just saw this book: Fighter Aces of the Luftwaffe (Ray Toliver Trevor J. Constable).

On Schiffer's web site it says it contains more than 600 photographs. But it also says it has "accurate pen portraits", I really don´t want "pen portraits".

Could anybody give me an advice if this book is worth buying considering that what I want the most is to have photographs of the fighter aces? I will really appreciate any help.
Best,

FANGIO
If anyone is still interested, Fighter Aces of the Luftwaffe is an excellent book. I picked up a new copy some years ago at a USAF base exchange, and it was this book that got me interested in the Luftwaffe and later the German military in general. And there are many more photos than "accurate pen portraits" of fighter aces in the book. I highly recommend it.

Here is a link to the book on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Fighter-Aces-Luft ... 321&sr=1-1

Cheers!

gummihar

Post by gummihar » 01 Apr 2011, 02:19

Hi there
I own books about Jagdgeschwader 300 vol one and two that are big and heavy and not recommended bead reading material hehe but have a wealth of information about the daily life of German fighter pilots from 1943 to the bitter end.
they have excellent pictures on almost every page and many first hand short combat story's.(I love that)
They are written by Jean-Yves Lorant & Richard Goyat and published by Eagle Editions Ltd.
Twenty six color profiles and paintings by Thomas A. Tullis and Richard Goyat are featured in Volume 1 (Hardcover, 400 pages)
and with thirty color profiles in Volume 2 (Hardcover 376 pages).
These are awesome books and a must for enthusiastic Luftwaffe fans

Here is link to the book on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/300-Wilde-Sau-Vol ... pd_sim_b_2
http://www.amazon.com/Jagdgeschwader-Wi ... pd_sim_b_1

Regards
"Rein muß er" und wenn wir beide weinen!
Oberleutnant Klaus Faber JV44 May 1945

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 23 Apr 2011, 10:15

1st Cover of "Fighter Aces of the Luftwaffe".Toliver & Constable.Aero Publishers 1977.
Attachments
fighter-aces-of-the-luftwaffe-1st-ed.jpg
fighter-aces-of-the-luftwaffe-1st-ed.jpg (38.75 KiB) Viewed 21036 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”