He 177 at Gardermoen, Norway 1945

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Bjørn from Norway
In memoriam

Re: He 177 at Gardermoen, Norway 1945

Post by Bjørn from Norway » 14 Jan 2009, 13:24

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 14 Jan 2009, 15:09

Well, the link certainly provides some interesting bits of information:

1) Gardemoen and its planes are clearly shown (so the argument that Gardermoen was under SS control and so aircraft there were not reported seems to be incorrect);
2) There are no He 177 shown for all of Norway;
3) There are no "forty giant bombers with a 7000-mile range" of a "new type bomber developed by Heinkel" shown anywhere.

So there is an absolute lack of evidence to support the statements in the supposed Washington Post article.

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 14 Jan 2009, 23:45

Simon K wrote:Were there any major airfield constructions in Norway late in the war, or anything related?

maybe Todt/ Norwegian facilities experts may have an idea.
If there was an SS-controlled secret airbase called Gardemoen that was built in 1944, where is it now? Was it taken on a Flugscheibe to Neuschwabenland?

Which German WW2 aircraft fits the bill of being a huge bomber with 7,000 miles range produced in at least 40 units that remained on this secret SS-controlled Gardemoen airbase?

It's just a lot of Nazi conspiracy bollocks that devalues this forum.
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

Simon K

Post by Simon K » 15 Jan 2009, 00:00

I think thats an accurate summary for this clipping.

Bizarrely while Google imaging last night, I found the clipping (!) it is linked to a book entitled "Black Sun of the Third Reich" :|

Thanks B for the Norway information.

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 15 Jan 2009, 09:36

Simon K wrote:Bizarrely while Google imaging last night, I found the clipping (!) it is linked to a book entitled "Black Sun of the Third Reich"
I have already mentioned that book in my first post in this thread:
Ironmachine wrote:The only other reference to this issue I have seen comes from the book Reich of the Black Sun, where the article is used to support the theory of the Third Reich having atomic bombs. No more information is provided, only the newspaper article.
If anyone is interested in taking a look at it, it is available on line in many webpages, for example http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/socio ... m#Contents
The relevant fragment is:
In an article for the June 29, 1945 issue of the Washington Post, a report that originated from 21st Army Group headquarters outlines the frightening discovery that awaited Allied military personnel who came to occupy Norway after the German forces there surrendered:
R.A.F. officers said today that the Germans had nearly completed preparations for bombing New York from a "colossal air field" near Oslo when the war ended.
"Forty giant bombers with a 7,000 mile range were found on this base - the largest Luftwaffe field I have ever seen,' one officer said.
"They were a new type bomber developed by Heinkel. They now are being dismantled for study. German ground crews said the planes were held in readiness for a mission to New York.
It is known that Heinkel undertook special modifications of its He 177 four engine heavy bomber late in the war, adapting it to carry large atom bombs, radiological bombs, and biological and chemical bombs.2 Within the context of the SS atom bomb program and the earlier flight of the Ju 390 from France in 1944, however, a purpose immediately suggests itself. The loss of France to Allied forces in 1944 deprived the Luftwaffe of its large French airfields. Norway, however, as has already been stated, remained in German hands up until their very surrender, and thus constituted the only remaining base of operations available to the Germans for any type of offensive operation against the North American continent.
2 Q.v. Friedrich Georg, Hitlers Siegeswaffen band 1: Luftwaffe und Marine: Geheime Nuklearwaffen des Dritten Reiches und ihre Trägersysteme pp. 131, 133.
The presence of such an airfield and its deliberate construction so late in the war also strongly suggests a connection to the SS atom bomb program in an entirely different way, since its construction would likely have fallen under the jurisdiction of the SS Building and Works Department, which was under the direction of none other than SS Obergruppenfuhrer Hans Kammler.
It is also significant that jurisdiction over all long range aircraft was also in Kammler's hands by war's end, thus linking the precious long-range bombers on the Oslo field to Kammler as well. Moreover, Mayer and Mehner speculate that at least two atom bombs were built and possibly transported on the mission of the U 234. In their view, the surrender of the U-boat to the American authorities thus not only provided the Manhattan Project with much-needed stocks of enriched uranium, but quite possibly also with two fully functional atom bombs as well.
As Urmel said, it is just the usual Nazi conspiracy: Third Reich atomic weapons, SS-built secret airfields, giant bombers ready to attack the United States,... But there is no "proof" shown but for the Washington Post article, whose image is included in the book. But even if the article was really published by the Washington Post (and this is something that has not yet been proven), given that all available evidence goes against it, I find no reason to believe that there were "forty giant bombers with a 7,000 mile range" "in readiness for a mission to New York" in Norway at the end of the war.

Simon K

Post by Simon K » 15 Jan 2009, 09:57

Sorry IM I didnt immediately notice your reference. I am reading it now...Since last night in fact. Oh dear

Actually a few bits deserve proper investigation..but it gets very silly.

David Curry

Post by David Curry » 30 Aug 2009, 03:30

I see Simon Gunsen's reference to No.226 Bomb Disposal Section's activities around Oslo.
Does anyone have information on that unit as it progressed through France, Belgium and then Norway following on from the Normandy landings ?

patver

Post by patver » 06 Jul 2011, 11:57

I have read about the long distance bombers in Norway on a number of occassions as well about archives indicating (a) reconnaissance flight(s) over New York by the end of 1945.

There are probably as many conspiracy theories as there were conspiracies, only future opening of still secret archives in Germany, UK and USA might bring answers.

Fact remain that Norway not only played a major role in the Nazi escape route to South-America but with 300.000 troops stationed in Norway, the Nazi's must have considered Norway as extremely essential to their existance.

I imagine U-boots could have sailed from Denmark as well, although perhaps not as safe as from Norway but possible nevertheless.

The 300.000 German troops in Norway could still have made a difference by the end of 1944 in the Ardennes or would have preventing the breaking the eastern front in 1945 after the routing of armygroup middle in 1944

Regardless the Neu Schwabenland, Ufo and other conspiracy theories, there must have been a crucial role for Norway to keep 300.000 German troops there.

I don't really believe in flying saucers but I'm quite convinced that the history of WOII still needs to be written.

michael_ww2history

Post by michael_ww2history » 31 Oct 2012, 08:33

I agree. 40 new type large bombers with a 7,000 mile range in Norway does not sound very realistic to me.

Germany had incredible weapons and advanced technologies, yes, but not unlimited production and unlimited resources, especially near the end of the war... :milsmile:

Chrille

Post by Chrille » 25 Nov 2012, 17:48

Hello! I have seen some bw pics of Gardemoen in may 1945 and can not see any He 177 , but the fact there were some of them is probably true, I am collecting Luftwaffe technical parts and has come over a Kippschalter used in that aircraft also 2 tailwheels in nice condition.

Best C
Attachments
HE177.jpg
HE177.jpg (69.76 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
Hjul K 2.jpg
Hjul K 2.jpg (24.08 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 15 Jul 2013, 15:13

Two posts discussing the claims of a German atomic bomb was moved to the existing thread at http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 4#p1806414

This thread is much a mix of strange things that I see no hope for it and it is locked.

/Marcus

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”