Ar 232

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
JohnWithill

Ar 232

Post by JohnWithill » 29 Nov 2012, 03:08

Hello again

Does any one know for certain how many troops this machine could accommodate ?
Last edited by Dieter Zinke on 29 Nov 2012, 15:34, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Correct spelling: Ar 232

LWD

Re: Ar 232

Post by LWD » 29 Nov 2012, 15:26

Maybe this book has the answer:
http://www.hamiltonbook.com/arado-ar-232-tatzelworm
http://www.amazon.com/Arado-Ar-232-Luft ... 0764316656

It will also depend on just what you are talking about. For instance you say troops. Do you mean fully equiped combat troops or just people or paratroopers jump ready?
Were any ever equipped as passenger planes?

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 29 Nov 2012, 15:32

Maximum load was 9,920 lbs. So, if you assign an average weight of 200 lbs for a soldier with full equipment, then it could carry 50 troops, give or take. Only 22 Ar 232s were produced.

L.

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 29 Nov 2012, 15:33

Duplicate post.

LWD

Post by LWD » 29 Nov 2012, 17:01

Normally personel fill up a plane before they max out the weight carrying capacity. Also if you are carrying a lot of personel there's the weight and space of the seeting to consider. If one has the floor space available for the Ar 232 and can compare that to other transports of that period that do have info on the number of passengers then that might give you a decent idea.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 29 Nov 2012, 17:59

If one has the floor space available for the Ar 232 and can compare that to other transports of that period that do have info on the number of passengers then that might give you a decent idea.
And overall cubic capacity of the "cargo" area vs flooring square footage - remembering the discussion some months ago on the Ju 52. The C-47 for example could carry more fully-equiped paratroopers - one of the reasons being that in effect they sat in the curve of the fuselage sides; extra fillable cubic capacity the Ju 52 for instance didn't have/couldn't use.

A problem that the Ar 232 looks to share....

I.E. what's decked inside is what space can be used.
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

JohnWithill

Post by JohnWithill » 01 Dec 2012, 23:02

Thanks Gents - I am awaiting a nice book on the subject - a really modern looking design - I presume the plane used on 'raiders of the lost ark' was one of these .....

Any way I had reckoned on the Ar 232 being a 'luft-land' type air mobile plane carrying Gebirgs-jaeger with Papa Ginkel and co. and equipment . really am very surprised only 22 were built as clearly they exactly what was required ... Ah well in my novel they'll have loads of these flying from SturmSchiffs as the Third Reich invade and hold Iceland the Faeroe islands , Jan Mayen Island and the Shetlands , with U Boat and Kriegsmarine protection , long range Luftwaffe cover and AIR CRAFT CARRIERS ....... well my imagination can make it happen - they certainly had the manpower - shame about the management . Thanks for the estimates , more or less what I had imagined . John

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 01 Dec 2012, 23:54

I presume the plane used on 'raiders of the lost ark' was one of these .....
Nope.
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....

JohnWithill

Post by JohnWithill » 04 Dec 2012, 23:24

OK then so what was it ?
So what is this Charming Town then ? Seems a bit of a strange comment to put as blanket comment to all - is there a meaning to it other than a general insult ?

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 04 Dec 2012, 23:54

So what is this Charming Town then ? Seems a bit of a strange comment to put as blanket comment to all - is there a meaning to it other than a general insult ?
Charming? Oh dear....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charming_(Sons_of_Anarchy)

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 04 Dec 2012, 23:57

OK then so what was it ?
Ahem - it's a special effect, an SFX technician's creation - like Judege Dredd's (the Sly version) lawnmower motor-powered hover bike! Like the WOODEN Hurricanes and Spitfires built for the movie The Battle of Britain so they could blow up and burn "Spitfires" and "Hurricanes" in air raids without damaging REAL ones...

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 05 Dec 2012, 07:40

JohnWithill wrote:Thanks Gents - I am awaiting a nice book on the subject - a really modern looking design - I presume the plane used on 'raiders of the lost ark' was one of these .....

The Ar-555 comes closest , except with props instead of jet engines.

http://www.luft46.com/arado/are555s.html

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 05 Dec 2012, 09:18

OK then so what was it ?
A full-scale model of a non-existant plane; not even remotely similar to the Ar 232.
The plane in Raiders looked so unique because it was. Here is a quote from The Raiders of the Lost Ark Collector's Album:
"The futuristic Flying Wing was chosen by director Steven Spielberg to represent the ominous and advanced state of aeronautics in Hitler's Germany. Production designer Norman Reynolds used a Northrop Corporation prototype of the Flying Wing and drawings by Ron Cobb to design for Raiders of the Lost Ark this strange plane that has no tail and no fuselage. The plane was built in England by Vickers Aircraft Company and painted at EMI Elstree Studios in London. In order to ship the elaborate prop to Tunisia for filming, it had to be disassembled and sent in parts, then rebuilt on location.
From: It seems that initial designs were eve ... Fwing3.jpg
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (35.84 KiB) Viewed 1592 times

JohnWithill

Post by JohnWithill » 06 Dec 2012, 00:31

Thanks very much - I don't own the film so was trying to drum it up from memory and remembered quite a bit of front end glazing - now I have seen the 'what might have been drawing' yes indeed it is nothing at all like the Ar 232 and again I abase myself at the feet of those truly educated in such . Isn't this the scene where the big German gets 'propped' ?

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous » 28 Dec 2022, 19:20

Ironmachine wrote:
05 Dec 2012, 09:18
OK then so what was it ?
A full-scale model of a non-existant plane; not even remotely similar to the Ar 232.
The plane in Raiders looked so unique because it was. Here is a quote from The Raiders of the Lost Ark Collector's Album:
"The futuristic Flying Wing was chosen by director Steven Spielberg to represent the ominous and advanced state of aeronautics in Hitler's Germany. Production designer Norman Reynolds used a Northrop Corporation prototype of the Flying Wing and drawings by Ron Cobb to design for Raiders of the Lost Ark this strange plane that has no tail and no fuselage. The plane was built in England by Vickers Aircraft Company and painted at EMI Elstree Studios in London. In order to ship the elaborate prop to Tunisia for filming, it had to be disassembled and sent in parts, then rebuilt on location.
From: It seems that initial designs were eve ... Fwing3.jpg
The tailless aircraft from Raiders of the Lost Ark is called BV-38 in the film, and the creators of this film based the design of this fictional flying wing on the Horten Ho 229 flying wing fighter.

Link:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/air-spac ... 180953339/

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”