German Aircraft in Soviet Red Air Force

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
roger-moor

German Aircraft in Soviet Red Air Force

Post by roger-moor » 24 Nov 2013 10:45

Hi All,

2 related questions, which I hope someone out there might have some info on....

1 - Does anyone know what happened to the handful of German aircraft - mainly Bf-109s and He-100s - that were traded with the Soviets as part of Economic Agreements following the Nazi-Soviet Pact? Presumably they entered Soviet service? Does anyone know what happened to them? Any accounts of them cropping up during Barbarossa or after?

2 - Also, related to this - there was large-scale sharing by the Germans with their Soviet Allies of engine technology etc as part of the Nazi-Soviet Pact. Does anyone know if any of the later Soviet aircraft drew on those developments? Any Red Airforce aircraft from '41 or '42 that can be proven to have drawn on German technological advances?

If anyone can point me in the direction of further reading etc on these two questions, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks alot.

Roger

CF Geust

Re: German Aircraft in Soviet Red Air Force

Post by CF Geust » 08 Dec 2013 07:40

See my books:

Under the Red Star - German Aircraft in Russia, Airlife 1993

and

Red Stars Vol.2 - German Aircraft in the Soviet Union (together with Gennadiy Petrov), Apali 1998.

regards
Carl

roger-moor

Post by roger-moor » 11 Dec 2013 11:15

OK Thanks Carl - will take a look.

Short version - did the Soviets use the 109s and He100s against the Germans in 1941?

Thanks

RM

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous » 24 Jan 2024 23:40

roger-moor wrote:
11 Dec 2013 11:15
OK Thanks Carl - will take a look.

Short version - did the Soviets use the 109s and He100s against the Germans in 1941?

Thanks

RM
None of the pre-production Heinkel He 100s delivered to the USSR under a technological exchange clause of the Ribbentrop-Molotov non-aggression treaty were used in combat against the Luftwaffe in Operation Barbarossa.

The book German Aircraft in the Soviet Union and Russia might give useful information about Bf 109s in Soviet service because whichever Bf 109s were used by the VVS made forced or emergency landings in the USSR or were captured by Soviet troops.

TISO

Post by TISO » 12 Feb 2024 02:59

No. Aircraft were tested, taken apart and studied

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”