Heinkel 111 H6 Fuel Tanks

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
rpgielow

Heinkel 111 H6 Fuel Tanks

Post by rpgielow » 22 Nov 2016, 00:15

Hello everyone!!

I am researching about He111 H6 internal fuel tank versus bomb bay configuration.

The H6 left the factory with 5 fuel tanks and a single internal bomb bay (4x250kg bombs or 16x50kg bombs) instead of 4 fuel tanks and dual internal bomb bays (8x250kg bombs or 32x50kg bombs).

The case is that H6 had an extra fuel tank replacing one bomb bay for extra range because it was designed as a torpedo bomber. Later on Hitler decided to invade the east countries and the H6 was used on tactical and strategic targets. Thus, the internal extra fuel tank was removed and the original dual bomb bay was back in place for a large bomb payload.

I have found two books saying it was possible for the H6 to carry 2000 kg on its bombs bays, but no Luftwaffe manuals or pictures showing this configuration. Can you gentlemen help my finding some proofs ( books, pictures, manuals, etc) about this retrofitting on H6 bomb configuration ???

Thanks!!

Stovepipe

Re: Heinkel 111 H6 Fuel Tanks

Post by Stovepipe » 25 Nov 2016, 23:13

The large bomb(s) were carried externally because the bomb cells inside the aircraft required that the bombs be stowed vertically, which was not possible with large bombs. The Heinkel had two pairs of doors and the larger bombs would not fit thru them. The internal 5th tank was sometimes refitted for long-range raids, as the situation required. I think it could carry four SC 500s externally or one SC 2500 Max or two parachute mines or even AB 250 or 500s.

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”