Ta 152 question

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Yodasgrandad

Ta 152 question

Post by Yodasgrandad » 18 Jun 2017, 02:00

Would the Focke Wulf Ta 152 of been a decent aircraft if introduced earlier?

csasch

Re: Ta 152 question

Post by csasch » 21 Jun 2017, 13:48

Yes, I say this for two main reasons. First it had a large engine with a proper turbo charger for high altitude, which helped it to go fast and allowed it to fly at any altitude enemy bombers of the time could have. And second, "depending on how early in the war you speak of," Range! At the time Germany didn't have any aircraft with suitable range to protect their bombers. With this aircraft they would have, as if my memory serves me correctly the FW 190, and the ME 109 had a range of about 500 miles. Where as the Ta 152 had a range of about 1200. Do the math, more than double. Now there is a but in this though. It didn't serve long enough to determine how well it stacked up against the Spitfire, and the Mustang. If it was at least as good as the FW 190, then the answer is yes. But that's just my two cents! Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong.

stg 44

Re: Ta 152 question

Post by stg 44 » 21 Jun 2017, 14:04

csasch wrote:Yes, I say this for two main reasons. First it had a large engine with a proper turbo charger for high altitude, which helped it to go fast and allowed it to fly at any altitude enemy bombers of the time could have. And second, "depending on how early in the war you speak of," Range! At the time Germany didn't have any aircraft with suitable range to protect their bombers. With this aircraft they would have, as if my memory serves me correctly the FW 190, and the ME 109 had a range of about 500 miles. Where as the Ta 152 had a range of about 1200. Do the math, more than double. Now there is a but in this though. It didn't serve long enough to determine how well it stacked up against the Spitfire, and the Mustang. If it was at least as good as the FW 190, then the answer is yes. But that's just my two cents! Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong.
Supercharger, the Ta-152 did not have a turbo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_J ... mo_213E.29
Supercharger: Two-stage three-speed centrifugal type supercharger with MW50 injection into the intake and an aftercooler..

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”