1./KG 30

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Duncan

1./KG 30

Post by Duncan » 11 Oct 2017, 15:09

Hi, haven't been on the forum for a while and lost a few of my research skills - so bear with me.....

I am looking for any data (other than wiki) on 1./KG 30, and a particular aircraft which was shot down on 4/5 July 1941. It was a Ju 88A-5, Wn.1878, 4D+KH. I am aware of the make of plane and the markings - not sure what Wn.1878 means.
I have the names of all the crew, but am specifically interested in the pilot Ff. Gefr. Jürgen Dombrowski.
I have also forgotten/lost the links where I can apply to military records for the record of Dombrowski...
Any help much appreciated.

Cheers Duncan

Larry D.

Re: 1./KG 30

Post by Larry D. » 12 Oct 2017, 14:05

Duncan -

First, is this Arabic "1."/KG 30 or Roman "I."/KG 30?
Next, "Wn." was the German abbreviation for Wien (Vienna/Austria). I am guessing you mean "Wnr.", which is the abbreviation for Werknummer, which was the production number applied to the aircraft by the manufacturer.

Gefreiter Dombrowski was enlisted (i.e., other ranks as the Brits say) so there is no surviving personnel file on him. The best you can do is to try and obtain a few snippets of information from WASt (Deutsche Dienststelle) in Berlin, but this will not amount to much more than what you already have. Additionally and more importantly, the Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv (BA-MA) in Freiburg has his Karteikarte, a large two-sided file card that summarizes his personal data and his military career postings. If you want a copy of that, you will have your best chance by either going to BA-MA yourself or hiring an accredited Freiburg researcher to get it for you. You can also directly contact BA-MA by e-mail or Selke, the private firm than is contracted to make all of the document copies ordered from BA-MA/Freiburg by researchers and others.

L.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » 12 Oct 2017, 19:30

Larry
It is 1/KG30, which I know is the 1 Staffel Kampfgeschwader 30. I have no idea what the WN.1878 means. The 4D+KH is the aircraft's unique markings, so there should be a history of it. I know it was supposed to be on bombing raid over Birmingham and got shot down and landed in the sea 25 off Wells-Next-The-Sea, Norfolk.

Thanks for the research references, I'll get those details.

Cheers
Duncan

Duncan

Post by Duncan » 20 Oct 2017, 09:54

I have established that Wn. is the Werk Nummer (Work Number). It is like the serial number on tails on planes.

I have sent an enquiry to Freiberg... Thanks

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”