Luftwaffe NJ losses to RAF bombers

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
maltesefalcon

Luftwaffe NJ losses to RAF bombers

Post by maltesefalcon » 29 Oct 2017, 19:54

I'm halfway through writing a novel about an RAF Lancaster crewman. Part of the novel includes an encounter between a Ju-88 and a Lanc. The Lanc explodes and kills both crews.

I gave me pause to think. The odds were stacked against an RAF bomber in a one on one encounter with a night fighter to be sure. Any stats on how many NJ were truly lost as a result of gunfire from bombers at night?

I tried a quick search of this and it produced literally hundreds of links so not really helpful. Not critical to my book to know, just a curious inquiry.

SES
In memoriam

Re: Luftwaffe NJ losses to RAF bombers

Post by SES » 29 Oct 2017, 21:56

Hi,
Here is an official list, but it is fraught with errors so approach with caution.
bregds
SES
Attachments
Natjager tab.jpg

maltesefalcon

Re: Luftwaffe NJ losses to RAF bombers

Post by maltesefalcon » 29 Oct 2017, 23:43

Thanks for the input. Those numbers do seem pretty high,as it would be very difficult for a bomber crew to confirm a kill at night. RLM loss figures would be a way to compare. But who is to say whether a non-returning NJ was lost due to pilot error, weather, mechanical issues, AA, a Blenheim or Mosquito Night Fighter or one's own FLAK? Or even collision with a flock of birds, a la Len Deighton's Bomber novel?

One other point...as they technically were built as bomber aircraft; do Mossie or Blenheim night fighter victories fall under Bomber Command's umbrella? If so they would explain in part the high numbers of NJ lost in 1943-1944.

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”