KStN (TOE) for a Flughafen-Betriebs-Kompanie

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Brady

KStN (TOE) for a Flughafen-Betriebs-Kompanie

Post by Brady » 05 Feb 2019, 18:22

KStN (TOE) for a Flughafen-Betriebs-Kompanie,

Anyone have a clue they could share with me on this ?

Larry D.

Re: KStN (TOE) for a Flughafen-Betriebs-Kompanie

Post by Larry D. » 06 Feb 2019, 14:56

Brady -

Which one?

Ger-61-042 Flughafenbetriebs-Kp.
Ger-61-043 Transportflieger- Flughafenbetriebs-Kp. (Qu.)
Ger-61-044 Flughafenbetriebs-Kp. z.b.V.
Ger-61-045 Flughafenbetriebs-Kp. (S)
Ger-61-046 Reserve- Flughafenbetriebs-Kp.
Ger-61-047 Flughafenbetriebs-Kp. (Qu)
Ger-61-048 Flughafenbetriebs-Kp. (FK)

As you know, the full KStN included equipment of all sorts and ran between 12 and 70 pages. Some of these were microfilmed and can be found at NARA College Park, NASM/Smithsonian WashDC and t the BNA London. BA-MA Freiburg has the paper version. I have a tiny bit of information on the number of authorized personnel for several of them, but not the others.

These special purpose airfield servicing companies rarely attract much interest, so I am curious why you are interested?

L.

Brady

Post by Brady » 06 Feb 2019, 19:09

Well the short answer is all of them :)

But I don't want to ask to much of you, what it is for is a very detailed War game that is in development, Service units are "on Map" and what were after is:

Numbers of Men
Personal weapons allotments (rifles, MG's)
Crew Served Weapons (AA guns and there Type)
Presumably they were all Fully Motorized (Mobile)
Anything like Listening devices for raid detection and direction
Radar
Search Light's
Security troops or vehicles (tank's I saw that FT 17's were issued for example?)

All I have is this, for JG 53 (Prien), at wars start :

The assumption is that these figures would vary considerably for a KG, or any other unit type, I think you know what I am after can you shed some light on this, if its not to much bother ?

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 06 Feb 2019, 19:56

Hello Brady,

Just what I was afraid of. This is an enormous subject requiring years of study and research, almost all in German documents. But it sounds to me like you just want the KStN allowances and specifications so you will need to go to, or get them from, the archives I mentioned in my first post above. These microfilms are the only source I know of that will have that level of detail. I am waaaaay too old to get involved in this, even if it were for legitimate academic purposes and I have a number of my own projects to complete before my time is up.

References:
1. Air Ministry/USAFE – Intelligence Party (OKL): Intelligence Report A.I.12/USAFE/M.24, 5 September 1945, “Aircraft Maintenance and Repair Units.”
2. NARA WashDC: Record Group 242, Microcopy T-311 (Luftflotte 6 documents), roll 228, frame 491; Microcopy T-321 (OKL documents), roll 104, frames 530-38.
3. Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv Freiburg: Signatur RL 2 III (Generalquartiermeister/OKL), various documents. Although not consulted, Signatur RL 22 (Fliegertechnische Bodendienste/technische Dienste, 1939-1945) should contain a great deal of information on the servicing and maintenance units of the Luftwaffe for those motivated to do further research.
4. Dierich, Wolfgang. Kampfgeschwader 51 “Edelweiss”: Eine Chronik aus Dokumenten und Berichten 1937-1945 (Stuttgart: Motorbuch Verlag, 1991), page 306.
5. Kannapin, Norbert. Die deutsche Feldpostübersicht 1939-1945. 3 Bde (I – III) (Osnabrück: Biblio Verlag, 1980-82).
6. Radtke, Siegfried. Kampfgeschwader 54: von der Ju 52 zur Me 262 - Eine Chronik nach Kriegstagebüchern, Dokumenten und Berichten 1935 – 1945 (Munich: Schild Verlag, 1990), pages 167 and 265.
7. Vogt, Harald. “Schlachtfeld Luftfahrzeug”: Der Einsatz der schwarzen Männer im II. Weltkrieg. Bodenorganisation und Arbeitsfeld der Luftfahrzeug-Techniker im zweiten Weltkrieg. Illertissen: Flugzeug Publikations, 1994.
8. Deutschen Roten Kreuz – Suchdienst München: Vermisstenbildlisten des Deutschen Roten Kreuzes, 173 Bde (München, 1960’s).

Good luck and best wishes,

L.

Brady

Post by Brady » 06 Feb 2019, 20:15

Thanks for the help and the Pointing in the right direction :)

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”