Udet Flamingo aircraft

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Rogovbooks

Udet Flamingo aircraft

Post by Rogovbooks » 20 Feb 2020, 22:19

Hi, I am searching for back-ground information regarding the Udet Flamingo aircraft for the purpose of writing a book.

The information I am looking for relates to the Udet Flamingo models used in the years 1935 - 1938 (including in Latvia).

Here are some questions I have already encountered:

1. How did the engine start of the aircraft performed? Was it done with a button or a mechanic had to turn the propeller?

2. Was the magneto been tested before take-off and if so, how?

3. What gauges, instruments or devices were in Cockpit? For example, did the aircraft have an altimeter, a climbing and lowering meter, a skid gauge, an oil temperature gauge, a water temperature gauge, an oil pressure gauge, a speedometer, a charging gauge?

4. What communication device was on the plane? How was the communication between the instructor pilot and the trainee (or passenger) performed?

5. How did the pilot stop the plane? Did he have brakes? How were the brakes activated, using the pedals? And how did the brakes integrate with the rudder pedals?

I guess that as I will progress in writing, I will have more questions about flying and operating the Udet Flamingo.

It will be very helpful if any of you could supply me with that information or at least direct me to a website (in English) or to a person who could answer these questions (in English).

Thanks in advance,

Seppo Koivisto

Re: Udet Flamingo aircraft

Post by Seppo Koivisto » 24 Feb 2020, 00:07

1. At least the Sh 14 engine could be started with compressed air. In the German film Wunder des Fliegens you can see Ernst Udet starting that way. Probably most aircraft didn't have this luxury, but had to be hand propped. In English you shout Contact! to inform that the mags are on (Udet says Achtung! Ein! in German in the film).

2. Magnetos were tested individually by run-up. You should have the pilot operating handbook for exact procedure.

3. You need at least an air speed indicator, altimeter, compass, slip indicator and engine rev-counter. In addition engine oil temperature and pressure gauges. Air cooled aircraft don't need water temperature gauge.

4. You can use a speaking tube, which Udet uses in the film. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaking_tube

5. They probably had toe brakes. Brake pedals were installed on top of the rudded pedals and you operated them with the tip of your shoes.

Wunder des Fliegens

Rogovbooks

Post by Rogovbooks » 12 Mar 2020, 17:17

Dear Seppo Koivisto, thank you very much your response.

Where can I find the 'the pilot operating handbook' in English?

Seppo Koivisto

Post by Seppo Koivisto » 13 Mar 2020, 22:44

At least you can buy the German version from Luftfahrt-Archiv Hafner, but I don't know how detailed instructions it gave.
https://www.luftfahrt-archiv-hafner.de/ ... chmitt.htm

Rogovbooks

Post by Rogovbooks » 14 Mar 2020, 18:54

Thanks. I will check there...

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”