Fliegerhorst Eindhoven

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
hansvandedonk

Fliegerhorst Eindhoven

Post by hansvandedonk » 27 Jun 2020, 14:49

I have been studying the court martial file of Oberst Wilhelm Gehlig, Fliegerhorstkommandant of Eindhoven Air Base. He was accused of doing to little to destroy the infrastructure of the airfield in September 1944 but fully acquitted. In the files there are several statements made by Eindhoven based staff which gives a good view of the last days of the Luftwaffe at Eindhoven.
The statement of Paul Föllmer, Stabschreiber, raises some questions.

He states that Eindhoven had the following units: KG.1, KG.54, KG.60, KG.66, a group of Zielflugssgeschwader(51) and elements of JG.53.
By that time KG.1 was not in this aerea and KG.60 was allready disbanded in 1943. And Zielfluggeschwader(51), could this be KG.51? Me262's of KG.51 were reported at Volkel in that period.

He also writes about the destruction of the T-Stoff Lager Eindhoven 1/VI. This Lager was not a responsibility of the Fliegerhorstkommandant so Gehlig discussed the matter with Uffz. Meister (Tehnischen Leiter des Lager). Meister informs Gehlig that the destruction of the Lager would be carried out by a special "Ubernahme-Kommando. Föllmer states literally: "da zum Vernichtung dieses Lagers - es handelte sich um eine Geheimsache - ein besonderes Ubernahme Kommando erscheinen würde, das das weitere veranlassen würde".
The T-Stoff Lager was blown up on the 5th of September on 06.50.
I have been searching the internet and it seems to be related with jet fighters.

Does someone has more information on this? Let me know if one of you is interested in the file itself. I can send it to you as pdf.

Hans

RudiS

Re: Fliegerhorst Eindhoven

Post by RudiS » 28 Jun 2020, 03:07

The Luftwaffe had Fliegerzielgeschwader, Gruppen and Staffeln and also Zieldarstellungsstaffeln but I never heard about a "Zielflugsgeschwader".

But a unit called "Einsatzkommando Schenck" was based at Volkel & Eindhoven from 30.8.44 till 5.9.44. It flew the Me 262. This unit was formed 20.6.44 in Lechfeld from parts of 3./KG51. In 9.44 it was disbanded and was absorbed by I./KG51.

Possibly that's what Föllmer was referring to with Zielflugsgeschwader 51.

Regards,
Rudi

hansvandedonk

Re: Fliegerhorst Eindhoven

Post by hansvandedonk » 28 Jun 2020, 10:13

Thank you Rudi. Some sources say that Einsatzkommando Schenk was at Volkel and Eindhoven but I have never found any confirmation on this. So this might be the proof that elements of this unit were based overhere. It maybe explains the presence of the T-Stoff Lager.

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”