Paradrop Trials - 2 1/2 ton Truck?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
ArmchairSamurai

Paradrop Trials - 2 1/2 ton Truck?

Post by ArmchairSamurai » 12 Feb 2021, 02:48

Hello all.

I came across this archived Modern Mechanix article from 1944, which reports that the Germans purportedly "...dropped a 2 1/2 ton truck beneath a triple chute." Thoughts? I am familiar with German airdropped varieties of light infantry guns, light flak guns, and the like, but never anything as heavy as a truck. Is there any truth to this?

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/will-air ... rld-peace/

Here is the page in question from the article; the except is at the bottom of that page.
Attachments
airborne_police_6-min.jpg
There are three sorts of people; those who are alive, those who are dead, and those who are at sea.

ROLAND1369

Re: Paradrop Trials - 2 1/2 ton Truck?

Post by ROLAND1369 » 13 Feb 2021, 18:16

As one who has dropped troops and equipment I would rate this story as highly unlikely. What aircraft would the Germans have used to drop the truck. They had few aircraft with a rear ramp suitable for an airdrop, none large enough to load, let alone to drop. I know of none with the ground clearance to carry it under the belly like the British method of Jeep dropping. The only large trucks, Opel Blitz, I have seen in aircraft were in ME 323s which has no airdrop capability. I short I see no technical capability to airdrop such large equipment in the German inventory. The allies had no such airdrop capability until the deployment of the C 82 transport but it was not deployed until after the war.

danebrog

Post by danebrog » 14 Feb 2021, 20:57

The Ju 290 could even digest a half track 8-)
290.jpg
290.jpg (49.31 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
Its "little sister" Ju 352 could still load an Opel Blitz - but the cab of the truck had to be cut off for this.
But IF a truck was ever dropped from such a machine, it was probably an experiment at best.
Especially since the "GröFaZ" had forbidden all airborne operations after Crete.
And for the air supply of encircled units, transport capacities were so scarce that a truck would have
been about the very last thing to be flown in.....

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 26 Feb 2021, 19:03

danebrog wrote:
14 Feb 2021, 20:57
The Ju 290 could even digest a half track 8-)
290.jpg
Its "little sister" Ju 352 could still load an Opel Blitz - but the cab of the truck had to be cut off for this.
But IF a truck was ever dropped from such a machine, it was probably an experiment at best.
Especially since the "GröFaZ" had forbidden all airborne operations after Crete.
And for the air supply of encircled units, transport capacities were so scarce that a truck would have
been about the very last thing to be flown in.....
That picture could be taken actually with any Ju-90 variant with Trapoklappe. However, it was not suitable to drop those vehicles.
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”