Flak unit at Quimper (France) railway station / May-June 1944)

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Tredaou

Flak unit at Quimper (France) railway station / May-June 1944)

Post by Tredaou » 23 Apr 2021, 10:37

Hello/Bonjour,

Any idea of the unit(s) which were to protect the Bahnhof Quimper (Railway Station) around May and June 1944? If there was an anti-aircraft (Flak) unit, a Zug I guess, dedicated to protect the railway tracks? I also though of a paratrooper unit (Fallschirmjäger), so perhaps also a return fire from this German unit. I am currently working on the loss of a Spitfire which was hit around this city on June 1, 1944 and which crashed further away, towards Lorient. Thank you for your thoughts on this matter.

All the best,
Frederic

Larry D.

Re: Flak unit at Quimper (France) railway station / May-June 1944)

Post by Larry D. » 24 Apr 2021, 20:51

Frederic -

I just finished checking my Luftwaffen-Flakartillerie files and did not find anything. As you know, the Luftwaffe had inactivated the landing ground at Quimper in 1943, leaving only a small custodial detachment there of 12 - 24 men. So the only thing I can think of might be a railway Flak unit from one of the 6 Flak-Abt. (Eis.) or (ETr.) that belonged to Flak-Rgt. 159 (ETr.), the Stab of which was located in Paris-Neuilly from July 1943 to August 1944 and controlled the railway Flak in West France, including Brittany. The railway Flak units commanded by the Regiment had claimed 300 Allied aircraft shot down by 14 June 1944.

L.

Tredaou

Re: Flak unit at Quimper (France) railway station / May-June 1944)

Post by Tredaou » 25 Apr 2021, 08:35

Larry,

Your idea is the most probable, since the report mentions that the Spitfire was hit in the vicinity of Quimper and that they were flying over the railroad tracks during their mission. In fact, a few minutes earlier they had attacked a train and destroyed its locomotive further north of that city (between Brest and Quimper).

Best regards,
Frederic

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”