Luftgau Ostland/Petersburg

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
AJK

Luftgau Ostland/Petersburg

Post by AJK » 23 May 2021 23:09

Apparently Luftgau Ostland (also known as Luftgau Petersburg) was formed in November 1941, in Riga (Latvia) and in June 1943 was redesignated Feldluftgau XXVI. I have been unable to find any credible listings of a commander for Luftgau Ostland for the 20 months of its existance. http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... rsburg.htm shows Oberst (Generalmajor in 1944) Hans Prockl as commander in 1942, but that is highly unlikely given his rank.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks,

AJK

Larry D.
Financial supporter

Re: Luftgau Ostland/Petersburg

Post by Larry D. » 24 May 2021 14:27

The name you arer after appears to be Oberst Josef Punzert.

Luftgaukommando Ostland

An "also known as" for Luftgaukommando Petersburg. Never issued an FpN.

Luftgaukommando Petersburg

This designation was occasionally and informally used to refer to Gefechtsstab (Befehlsstelle) des Luftgaukommando I Riga in Latvia. Its use rarely appears in official documents, however. “Petersburg” is believed to refer to St. Petersburg (Leningrad), the intended destination and headquarters location for the Luftgaukdo. Luftgaukdo. Petersburg was never issued a Feldpostnummer so it was never a formalized and recognized unit. This is similar in context to the designation Luftgaukommando Moskau, which never reached the Soviet capital and was headquartered in Smolensk instead. Similarly, St. Petersburg (Leningrad) was never captured by the Germans, so the name never really came into existence. On 1 April 1943, Gefechtsstab (Befehlsstelle) des Luftgaukommando I Riga became Feldluftgaukommando XXVI Riga.

© by Henry L. deZeng IV (Work in Progress).
(1st Draft 2006)

Befehlsstelle (ex-Gefechtsstab) d. Luftgaukdo. I Riga
(FpN: L 40719)

Kommandeur:
Oberst Josef Punzert ( ? - ? ) 1/42

A forward command post formed latter part of June 1941 with Stab in Riga/Latvia. Elements also identified at Gatchina airfield on the Leningrad Front in January 1942. Disbanded in early 1943. Most or all of the personnel were used to form Feld-Luftgaukdo. XXVI, which was ordered established on 1 April 1943, but not concluded until 15 August 1943. This command post was the primary instrument of administrative and logistical control for Luftwaffe support on the northern sector of the Eastern Front.

Feldpostnummer L 40719

(30.7.1941-28.2.1942) Luftgau- Kommando I Gefechtsstab,
dann Luftgau-Kommando I Befehlsstelle Riga
(12.3.1943-7.9.1943) gestrichen,

L.

AJK

Re: Luftgau Ostland/Petersburg

Post by AJK » 24 May 2021 15:08

Hi Larry,

Thank you very much for your detailed and helpful reply!

Regards,

AJK

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”