The fate of Günther Lützow

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
von thoma

The fate of Günther Lützow

Post by von thoma » 12 Aug 2022, 01:42

On April 24, 1945, piloting a Me 262, he disappeared in combat, losing his trail near Donauwörth.
His plane and his remains have not been located, lost without a trace.
Lützow had vanished from earth.
The Me 262 was seen crashing into the ground and exploding. ( ? )

Walter Krupinski who was flying the same mission stated ;

" We broke away in a wide left-turn on our homeward route. Oberst Lützow's change in course towards a southerly direction was completely incomprehensible to me and I therefore called him on the radio but did not get a reply. The explosion I saw, or something very similar, occurred at a distance of 20 kilometers (12 miles). Everyone knows, that at that distance, details can no longer be observed "

This could solve the mysterious disappearance ;

Recently some are in charge of being able to solve this mystery: On 28 April 2015, the Augsburger Allgemeine, a German regional daily newspaper, published an article stating that according to Erich Bäcker, Lützow attempted an emergency landing at Donaumünster/Erlingshofen and crashed into the Danube. Bäcker made his claim based on reports made by eye-witnesses who saw a low flying Me 262 crashing into the Danube that day.

G. Lützow.jpg
G. Lützow.jpg (66.16 KiB) Viewed 3063 times

A partial list of some Luftwaffe pilots missing in action, or of unknown fate...

Wolfgang Schellmann – 22 June 1941
German Luftwaffe fighter ace who went missing on the first day of Operation Barbarossa, presumably being killed in combat,
other sources said he was killed by partisan, or NKVD members

Heinrich Hoffmann – 3 October 1941
German Luftwaffe flying ace who was presumably shot down by a Soviet aviation regiment.

Franz Eckerle – 14 February 1942
German Luftwaffe fighter ace and aerobatics pilot who was presumably shot down and killed while fighting in Soviet territory.

Arved Crüger – 22 March 1942
German Luftwaffe Geschwaderkommodore who was reputedly shot down by British forces in Malta.

Hans Beißwenger – 6 March 1943
A German Luftwaffe fighter ace reported missing in action following an air battle close to Lake Ilmen in Staraya Russia on 6 March 1943.

Max Stotz – 19 August 1943
Austrian Luftwaffe military aviator and Staffelkapitän who was presumably shot down by opposing forces while on an aerial mission. His remains were never recovered.

Heinz Schmidt – 5 September 1943
German Luftwaffe military aviator and fighter ace thought to have been accidentally shot down by allies while fighting in the Ukrainian SSR.

Otto Gaiser – 22 January 1944
German Luftwaffe flying ace and recipient of the Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross who was presumably shot down by Soviet anti-aircraft forces while battling a Il-2 Sturmovik.

Horst Adameit – 7 August 1944
German Luftwaffe fighter ace and military aviator who disappeared while pursuing a Russian Ilyushin Il-2. He was declared missing in action, and has not been seen since.

Günther Lützow – 24 April 1945
German Luftwaffe flying ace credited with over 110 enemy aircraft shot down in various conflicts. While flying with the Jagdverband 44, he was shot down while attempting to intercept an enemy bomber plane, and his remains were never recovered.
Last edited by von thoma on 12 Aug 2022, 02:16, edited 2 times in total.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

von thoma

Re: The fate of Günther Lützow

Post by von thoma » 12 Aug 2022, 02:12

Other Me 262 pilots recorded its dramatic end, as is the case of Rudolf Rösch.

Rudolf-Roesch.jpg
Rudolf-Roesch.jpg (80.24 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
Me 262 9K+KL ( W.Nr. 170122 ), after crashed beside the Farm "Mariahof" at "Het Geremt", south of the Railway
Helmond-Deurne ( Netherlands )
Attachments
Me-262-Crash-Rosch.jpg
Me-262-Rudolf-Rosch-.jpg
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”