authenticity lapel pin 'Eismeer' (Jagdgeschwader 5)

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Losgehts

authenticity lapel pin 'Eismeer' (Jagdgeschwader 5)

Post by Losgehts » 07 Sep 2022 15:13

Good day,

recently found this pin and purchased it right away on sheer instinct, yet later on could find no depictions of similar copies on the www. Can someone tell me if its really ww2 and, if so, what the text on the back reads?

much obliged,

L
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hans1906

Re: authenticity lapel pin 'Eismeer' (Jagdgeschwader 5)

Post by Hans1906 » 08 Sep 2022 16:40

Hi Losgehts,

I think it's a pin for a traditional association, or a veteran association for the "Jagdgeschwader 5". (After 1945)

The design of your needle speaks for a German production from the 1970s, possibly also from the 1960s.
Similar lapel pins were still common in the Bundeswehr in the late 1970s.

In 1979/80 some of us received the so-called "Honor Badge" ("Ehrennadel") on the day of the farewell, these looked very similar, probably from the same manufacturer.

Sorry for no better help...
A collector's value is probably non-existent without a personal "Provenance".

Incidentally, a rare piece, a second copy is not found.

Hans

P.S. Where did you find this, if you like to answer..?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
„Im Leben gibt’s die Bösen und die Guten. Und die dazwischen, das sind die Bagaluten.“

Losgehts

Post by Losgehts » 10 Sep 2022 11:54

Thank you for your two cents, Hans. A postwar veteran reunion pin is what crossed my mind as well and it could very well be one but would, relatively soon after the war, such an emblem not still be loaded too much in Germany in the 60's 70's? Most U-boat reunion pins I have come across stem from the 80's at the earliest but I'm actually new to luftwaffe pins and badges. Pin will be shortly with me so I can hopefully read the text on the back and find out more. Thanks too for your comparative buffalo image. :thumbsup:

To answer your question where I got it from: bought it on Ebay Germany couple of days ago.

Cheers,

L

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 10 Sep 2022 12:21

Hi Losgehts,

a very nice Ebay find, I have never seen this "Anstecknadel" (Pin) before...

The "74 Buffalo" Pin was the small gift of honor for deserving comrades of the Panzerbataillon 74 (PzBtl 74).
Received by the soldiers on the day of their official farewell.

The styles of both pins are comparable.

Link: https://marjorie-wiki.de/wiki/Panzerbat ... on%2074%20(PzBtl%2074,wurde%20das%20Panzerbataillon%2074%20aufgelöst.

I never asked about the "buffalo", the German nickname of our unit was "Das Eisenschwein" ("The Iron Pig").
Probably the "buffalo" has something to do with the training of our unit in Shilo/Canada..?

Hans
„Im Leben gibt’s die Bösen und die Guten. Und die dazwischen, das sind die Bagaluten.“

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”