Junkers Ju 87 pilots & gunners

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Jarlath

Junkers Ju 87 pilots & gunners

Post by Jarlath » 23 Dec 2022, 13:09

Hello,

I am working on a documentary about the Junkers Ju 87 and am looking for a pilot/gunner or a relative who would be willing to be interviewed about their experience. Is anyone in this forum aware of a person who fits this description or perhaps a veteran society who might be able to help me in my search? I understand that given the time frame, there are likely to be a very limited number of people who are able to do so but I believe that the production would greatly benefit from this personal insight. We are keen to look at the human story behind the machine and aim to show the Stuka in a balanced and nuanced way, in recognition that war and the combatant's roles are not always black-and-white.

We work closely with the contributors to shape the questions that they are comfortable sharing answers to. We are based in both the USA and the UK and are sensitive to the needs of our veterans/elderly relatives - we're more than happy to come and film in an environment that is comfortable and familiar to them.

If you think you might be able to help, please do respond here or send me an email to [email protected]

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Jarlath

Larry D.

Re: Junkers Ju 87 pilots & gunners

Post by Larry D. » 23 Dec 2022, 16:11

Good luck, but the youngest a Luftwaffe veteran fitting your description could be is 98 years old today. I think you would have much better luck working your way through the ADI(K) and CSDIC P/W interrogation reports held at the BNA Kew. A very large part of the BNA's WWII documents are available on line now so the first step would be to check the BNA website for record group AIR 40. Ju 87 units were active opposite Allied forces from May to August 1940 (France and the Battle of Britain), but most especially in the Mediterranean 1940 to 1945.

L. deZ.

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”