Luftflotte I : Combat Sorties 41-44

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
jmadison

Luftflotte I : Combat Sorties 41-44

Post by jmadison » 25 Nov 2023 03:39

Hello,

I am trying to find out if there is an operational history for Luftflotte I, covering the campaign in the east from 41-44. I'm looking for combat sortie information as well as losses in airframes and crews as Barbarossa went on. I've been reading Bergstrom's book (2nd ed) as well as Strategy for Defeat by Willams Murray but my focus is on the specifics of LF 1 as well as the facing VVS in the Army Group North area of operation from June 22 to December 44.

Thank you,

John

Larry D.

Re: Luftflotte I : Combat Sorties 41-44

Post by Larry D. » 25 Nov 2023 22:53

J.M. -

If such detailed reports survived the war, you would have seen some reference to them in the Bergström books. I did a pretty thorough years-long sweep of Luftwaffe documents dealing with the Luftflotte 1 area and came up empty. All that remains, as far as I could determine, are very brief and very generalized reports on Luftwaffe activity in the daily reports (Tagesmeldungen) of H.Gr. Nord, AOK 16 and AOK 18. These would be of almost no help for your purposes. The 3 postwar volumes by Hermann Plocher wouldn't help much either. The various Luftwaffe unit histories would help somewhat, i.e., KG 1, JG 54, the massive output by Dr. Jochen Prien, et al, but these focus on the single unit the history was written about. Besides, unless you have a good command of German and already have 10 years of studying the war on the Leningrad Front in North Russia, you will be very handicapped doing this research.

L. deZ.
Last edited by Larry D. on 26 Nov 2023 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

Reigo2

Post by Reigo2 » 26 Nov 2023 08:15

I have looked only into 1944 and can't comment much about earlier years.

NARA T-311/60 and T-311/61 have LF 1 daily summaries from January to April 1944. These contain summaries of sorties flown, result/victory claims and lost airplanes (but only on combat missions). No information on lost crews.

After Aprill 1944 there is some summary information in H.Gr. Nord KTBs but the information is less detailed and at some point disappears almost completely.

The book Abwehrkämpfe am Nordflügel der Ostfront, 1944-1945 (published 1963) contains an article about LF 1 operations during summer 1944 but it is very much based on H.Gr. Nord KTBs (which you can access directly via Bundesarchiv Invenio).

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 26 Nov 2023 13:33

Reigo2,

Spot on...........aside from rolls 60 and 61 in T-311, I've been through the others you listed, too, but forgot to include them. Also, the Ob.d.L. daily reports provide some detail for summer-fall 1941 and can be found in the German-Russian digitized document collection on the internet, IIRC.

L. deZ.

igorr

Post by igorr » 27 Nov 2023 04:30

Same Lageberichte available trough invenio (BA/MA online), starts from RL 2-II/247

jmadison

Post by jmadison » 27 Nov 2023 20:26

Thanks for the replies gentleman. I am not fluent in German, I can recognize words but can't read it and would have to use a translator. I just didn't want to assume and make some preemptive judgements in broad strokes to get something digestible to someone playing a war game. I can at least say I've turned what few stones there are to turn. With what I've been able to glean from data later in the war that is available here in another thread from 2020; I guess between that, Bergstrom's book and Strategy for Defeat, there is enough there to work with and not at least totally SWAG it.

Thank you,

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”