Seeking information on a Luftwaffe pilot

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
ER9240

Seeking information on a Luftwaffe pilot

Post by ER9240 » 08 Feb 2024 19:44

I am seeking information on my grandfather who was a pilot for the Luftwaffe during WWII. Prior to his passing, he told me he flew the ME-262. I probably misunderstood him since the 262 pilot rosters are fairly well documented and I haven't been able to find him listed anywhere.

Here is the information I have on my grandfather:

My grandfather's name is Paul Rudolph Otto Blank. Born May 1927 in Braunschweig, Niedersachsen, Germany. My aunt told me he for sure flew both the BF-109 and FW-190. He was stationed in Plauen, south of Leipzig. He told me he flew over 100 missions before being shot down and placed in a Russian POW camp in Sinzig.

He refused to go into detail about his military service and hated to talk about it. The only thing he told me was how upset he was he had his pilot's watch taken when he was captured. He was released after the war ended and moved to Canada where he lived for about ten years before settling in the United States.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tim Osborne

Re: Seeking information on a Luftwaffe pilot

Post by Tim Osborne » 22 Feb 2024 17:30

Hi

If you don’t get any joy on here - normally there is someone who can give info to a degree - then ask on ‘WW2 Talk’ forum or try looking up/emailing the Kracker Luftwaffe Archive: https://aircrewremembered.com/KrackerDatabase/

Good luck! :)

ewest89

Post by ewest89 » 22 Feb 2024 17:44

Toward the end of the war, emergency measures were taken. Various units were formed quickly and some units were absorbed by other units. Aircraft and pilots could be quickly transferred.

I suggest you ask here: http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8

joerg

Post by joerg » 23 Feb 2024 20:02

Born in May 1927, so not 18y old when war was over, he was far too young. Impossible that he flew 100 missions, the 109 or 190 or any other planes at the front, youngest fighter pilots who served in the Lufwaffe were born in 1925.

Another fact: No russian POW camps in Sinzig, this town is in western Germany near the Belgian border, there were US and british camps. Russians were never in western Germany

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”