Kommandierende General (Luftwaffe)

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Darren J. Whiteside

Kommandierende General (Luftwaffe)

Post by Darren J. Whiteside » 21 Aug 2003, 05:30

Hello all,

I hope that someone can clear up a question that I have regarding the area of responsibility for the Commanding General for the Luftwaffe in both Norway and Denmark. I went to Michael Holm's excellent site, http://www.ww2.dk, and only seen a few units under the control of these commands. This is confusing, because I always thought that these commands controlled all aspects of the Luftwaffe mission in their particular areas. Am I incorrect to think so? Secondly, Jagdabschnittsführer Dänemark is stated as being under the control of 2.Jagddivision, as well as the Kommandierende General in Dänemark. Can someone help me with my confusion?

regards,

Darren

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 23 Aug 2003, 00:04

If you take Norway as an example,
The units under his command:

- All LW forces in Finland
- Fliegerführer 4 (Responsible for offensives against the enemy)
-JaFü Norwegen (Responsible for all fighter units and Radars in Norway)
- 29 Flak Div ( All AA batteries in Norway)

This is about everyting......
The only ones left, are the ground units, like Pioneer troops and the LW field divisions.......

Erik

Darren J. Whiteside

Post by Darren J. Whiteside » 23 Aug 2003, 04:24

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the help. Would the luftwaffe ground units in Norway also be under his command?

Originally, before Luftflotte 5 was disbanded in favour of Kommandierende General der Deutschen Luftwaffe in Norwegen, did Luftflotte 5 control the air units in Norway, and Luftgau-Kommando Norwegen control some or all ofthe ground forces stationed there?

regards,

Darren

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”