What do these units do?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Darren J. Whiteside

What do these units do?

Post by Darren J. Whiteside » 22 Aug 2003 20:11

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what duties the following units performed, and what do they mean in German:

1) Luftgua-Nachrichten-Regiment

2)Flugbereitschaft/Luftgau

3)Flughafenbereichs-Kommando

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

regards,

Darren

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 22 Aug 2003 22:53

Luftgua-Nachrichten-Regiment
Signals unit for a certain area (Luftgau)
Flugbereitschaft/Luftgau
not 100%, but I think this unit were responsible for keeping track of which planes were available at each time within their area.
Flughafenbereichs-Kommando
Same as above but for the airport itself.

Erik

Darren J. Whiteside

Post by Darren J. Whiteside » 23 Aug 2003 03:39

Hi Erik,

What kinds of duties did these signal units perform? I think they manned the early-warning radar, but I am not sure.

I have a few other units that you may help me with:

1)Jagdabschnittsführer

2)Luftnachrichten

3)Flugabwehrkommando

One last thing: How did the German Luftwaffe classify a unit as 'ground' as opposed to 'air'. It seems to me that they sometimes had over-lapping responsibilities. Were only flying units, such as fighter, bomber, recon, etc'
given 'air unit' designations, while support units, such as airport personnel, AA batteries, radar crews, etc', designated as 'ground units' because they operated independantely from the flying units?

regards,

Darren

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 23 Aug 2003 04:38

Erik E wrote:
Flugbereitschaft/Luftgau
not 100%, but I think this unit were responsible for keeping track of which planes were available at each time within their area.
Hi Erik!

More exactly it was like a taxi company for a certain area. If someone needed a airplane lets say to go to a important meeting in Berlin he called the Flugbereitschaft. There were some regulations who was allowed to order planes from the Flugbereitschaft.

\Christoph

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 23 Aug 2003 05:01

Hi,
Please see the discussions in the topic 'Jagdfliegerführer' in this forum (in the next page or so). Abschnitt is a branch of JaFue. For example, according to Garland et al. (quoted in my post in 'Jagdfliegerführer' ), JaFue Norwegen had an Abschnitt in Tronheim. They coordinated and sometimes directed fighters in the local area, especially in bomber intercept wirth radar information.
It seems small-sized independent JaFue was also called as so.

Hisashi NAMIKAWA

ChrisMAg2

Post by ChrisMAg2 » 23 Aug 2003 11:18

Erik E wrote:
Flughafenbereichs-Kommando
Same as above but for the airport itself.

Erik
Flughafenbereichs-Kommando= is not only/ mainly responsible for the equipment. Their duties are i.e. guarding the airport and providing the technical/ architectional infrastructre. The flying equipment is supervised by either the Flugbereitschaftskontrolle and /or the different technical units of the unit on the airfield.

The LW was tacticaly classified in five "Luftflottenkommandos"; in german territory the LW was diveded in ten "Luftgau(-kommandos)". The Luftgaue suprevided the different airports within their territory. The equivalent for the army is Wehrbereich or Wehrbezirk.

@Darren
Luftnachrichten means "air signal". The word as is is incomplete . It lacks an extension like Luft Nachrichten Regiment.
Flugabwehrkommando is an AA-unit of i.e. an airfield. The word "-kommando" implements, some men of the unit are assigned with AA-duties. These units were not independed units with an own name.

RADAR-duties were done either by "Luftnachrichteneinheiten der Luftgaue" or "der Jagddivisionen" later in war or as unit as a part of the FLAK-units, that depended on what kind of device and how it was used ("Suchgerät" like "Wassermann" and "Freya" or "FlaK-Zielgerät" like "Würzburg").

Regards

Darren J. Whiteside

Post by Darren J. Whiteside » 23 Aug 2003 19:04

Hi everyone,

I really appreciate all the responses from maisov, Christoph, and Erik. Hello again ChrisMAg2! (we met on the LEMB forum). I am starting to get a much clearer picture of the roles that these units played during WWII. I was wondering if the maintenance crews for the aircraft belonged to their respective bomber or fighter wings, or did they fall under the command of the Luftgau?

Secondly, did the signals units operate/maintain radio communications, as well as the telephone lines used by the Luftwaffe?.

Lastly, did the Luftgau units command the Göring special units, as well as the Luftwaffe Infantry, parachute (Fallschirm), and security units, or did they operate independantly?

regards,

Darren

Harri

Post by Harri » 23 Aug 2003 21:41

I agree with ChrisMAg2.

But I think "Flugbereitschaft" is same as "Flughafenbereitschaft" which can be translated as an "Airfield Company" i.e. he unit which was responsible for example the supply, maintenance and guarding duties of the airbase. One company could handle also more then one airfield so I think their organization was flexible.

German word "Kommando" means also "command" or "detachment" just like explained.

---

Darren,

I'm not quite sure if Luftwaffe had also specialized units but usually signals regiments had both radio (wireless) and telephone units but also air surveillance radar units.

I think the translation for "Luftgau" could be "Airfield Region". Luftgau could have many special tasks, anyway it was usually a huge staff with lots of duties. For example "Luftgau Finnland" acted since 1942 also as "Kommandierender General Rückwärtiges Gebiet" (in Finland: Korück 525) which was responsible on planning of movements, supply and accommodation of all German troops in rear areas. Most likely all Lufwaffe troops in rest or in rear of front were under the command of Luftgau (but not necessary operationally).

Felix``

Post by Felix`` » 24 Aug 2003 14:25

Flugbereitschaft is not the same as Flughafenbereitschaft. Even today there are some planes that are responsible for flying important members of the government - this service is still called Flugbereitschaft. Flughafenbereitschaft is a totally different branch.

Best regards,
Felix

ChrisMAg2

Post by ChrisMAg2 » 24 Aug 2003 14:28

Hi Darren, gee, you really want to know very detailed things....
I was wondering if the maintenance crews for the aircraft belonged to their respective bomber or fighter wings, or did they fall under the command of the Luftgau?
Yes to the first; yes to the second, if you see it as the end of a command-line -it is not so-, else forget second part.
Secondly, did the signals units operate/maintain radio communications, as well as the telephone lines used by the Luftwaffe?.
Yes and no. It depends on want kind of telephone line you' re talking about. If it's a "field telephone wire", yes. If it's wireing laid by i.e. Reichspost (standard telephone company i.e. from inland Airport to a public telephone hub) then Reichspost would maintain that line.
Lastly, did the Luftgau units command the Göring special units, as well as the Luftwaffe Infantry, parachute (Fallschirm), and security units, or did they operate independantly?
The Luftgau is a more territorial, administrativ thing. It is not realy something belonging to the commandline of the Luftwaffe. Main duties of the Luftgau are recruting personell, admintrating the drafties, the infrastructure and things like that. So the answer is no. The special units were assigned to i.e. the Luftflotten or other higher Commands like i.e. directely to the OKL. The special units operated as independed as you could work within usually combined operations. And ofcourse what Harri said is also correct.

Regards

Darren J. Whiteside

Post by Darren J. Whiteside » 24 Aug 2003 18:15

Hello, Harri, Felix and ChrisMAg2,

I am glad to be part of this forum, as there seems to be a wealth of knowledgeable people that can help me with my questions. I think I finally have a good understanding of all the varied responsibilities of the Luftgau.
I appreciate the assistance.

warm regards,

Darren

Harri

Post by Harri » 24 Aug 2003 18:28

Felix`` wrote:Flugbereitschaft is not the same as Flughafenbereitschaft. Even today there are some planes that are responsible for flying important members of the government - this service is still called Flugbereitschaft. Flughafenbereitschaft is a totally different branch.
Different branch? Now I see. :oops:

Yes, I now realize the difference between these two. So, "Flugbereitschaft" really was a kind of flying (taxi) unit? For example "Sanitätsflugbereitschaft 8" at Kemi, Finland, was an aerial unit for transporting sick or wounded soldiers from Finland to Germany. Most likely it belonged to "Gefechtsstab Luftflotte 5" (administrative advanced staff of Luftflotte 5) at Kemi. I think these units used planes like Ju 52, Bf 108, FW 58 Weihe, Fieseler Storch etc.

Where there any other similar kind of special flying units?

----
ChrisMAg2 wrote:The Luftgau is a more territorial, administrativ thing. It is not realy something belonging to the commandline of the Luftwaffe. Main duties of the Luftgau are recruting personell, admintrating the drafties, the infrastructure and things like that. So the answer is no. The special units were assigned to i.e. the Luftflotten or other higher Commands like i.e. directely to the OKL. The special units operated as independed as you could work within usually combined operations. And ofcourse what Harri said is also correct.
Luftgau was an important command staff for all Luftwaffe land services and troops which supported LW aerial activities. It had its own troops and could also have flying units (usually not combat ones).

The question still remains: what was Luftgaus' relation to Luftflotte? For example in the north all LW troops were under the command of Luftflotte 5 which was under the command of OKL. There were two Luftgaus: Luftgau Norwegen for Norway and Luftgau Finnland for Northern Finland. Their commanders had a title "Kommandierender General der Deutschen LW in Norwegen/Finnland" and they were the highest LW commanders of all LW troops in Norway and Finland. Lufflotte (which I would class an Army of LW) was above these. When Luftgau Finnland and Gefechtsstab Luftflotte 5 later were combined together the result was a new staff called "Kommandierender General der Deutschen LW in Finnland" which was directly under the command of OKL.

Luftflotte had also branch commanders (who usually had their own separate staffs) for example for signals and anti-aircraft troops. Luftwaffe's command system was very complex and at least I'm totally confused on it.

Felix``

Post by Felix`` » 24 Aug 2003 20:49

So, "Flugbereitschaft" really was a kind of flying (taxi) unit? For example "Sanitätsflugbereitschaft 8" at Kemi, Finland, was an aerial unit for transporting sick or wounded soldiers from Finland to Germany.
Yes, the Flugbereitschaft is a flying taxi unit :) And the Sanitätsflugbereitschaft would be responsible for evacuating the wounded or sick, like you already mentioned above.

Best regards,
Felix

ChrisMAg2

Post by ChrisMAg2 » 25 Aug 2003 09:21

@Harri,
you wrote:
Most likely it belonged to "Gefechtsstab Luftflotte 5" (administrative advanced staff of Luftflotte 5) at Kemi.
Gefechtsstab or just Stab is the combat high command of a unit. It did of ofcourse also have an administration branch, but it was only one small part of it. The main duty is that for combat.

I think you are getting confused, because a High Command not only has a "CC", who is responsible for all combat-matters. He is also the highest adminintrativ officer in charge, although adminstrativ things are mostly kept away from him. To make it a little more precise: The Luftgau is the administrativ branch/ organisation of a part of the LW. Luftflotte and Luftgau stood on the same level of hierachy and were headed with the i.e. "Kommandierender General der deut. LW in...", but Luftflotte was responsible for combat, while Luftgau did the administration in general. And as you said, the Luftgau did have personell to support the Luftflotte in their activities. The flying units (of the Luftgau) were i.e. the (Sanitäts-)Flugbereitschaften. But they didn't have active fightng units, of any kind, except maybe some protctive Staffeln or Schwärme if ever.
--
I agree with you, the whole thing is very complex and confusing.
Regards

ChrisMAg2

Addendum to Luftgau/ Luftflotte

Post by ChrisMAg2 » 25 Aug 2003 13:54

Hi,
I did some research at http://www.luftarchiv.de and I found these extracts:

Luftgaue
Die Luftgauen bildeten die geographischen Organisationseinheiten. Sie waren relativ unabhängig und verantwortlich für die Errichtung und Unterhaltung sämtlicher Flugplätze, Werkstätten, Treibstoff- und Waffenlager sowie allen sonstigen für die Fliegerei notwendigen Infrastrukturen in Ihrer Region. Zudem hatten sie das notwendige Verwaltungs- und Versorgungspersonal und deren Organisation zu stellen.

-->The Luftgaue were territorial organisation units. They were rather independend and responsible for providing and maintaining all airfield, (repair-)shops, fuel- and armourstorages and all for (military) aviation nessescary infrastructures within their area. Further they had to provide all administrativ and supportiv (logistics) personell and their organisation.

Luftflotten
Demgegenüber waren die fliegenden und sonstigen mobilen Verbände in Luftflotten unterteilt worden. Den einzelnen Luftflotten waren jeweils feste Regionen zugeteilt worden, die sich regelmäßig über eine ganze Anzahl von Luftgauen erstreckten. Eine Luftflotte bestand dabei jeweils aus allen in dieser Region operierenden Einsatzverbänden der Luftwaffe und deren Stäbe, den obersten Führungsstäben für die Luftflotte selber und das für die speziell einsatzbezogenen Belange zuständige Fliegerkorps der Luftflotte. (...)

-->On the other hand all flying and however mobile units were assigned to the Luftflotten. Every Luftflotte had it's own area it was assigned to, and they usually covered several Luftgaue. A luftflotte consisted of all operativ units in their region, their staff, the Luftflotten High Command and the for operational purposes Fliegerkorps in charge. (-> the last part of this sentence is not exactely translated, but the overall meaning should be obvious. My english is not yet good enough, sorry for that)
Luftflotte 1 Nordosttdeutschland
Luftflotte 2 Nordwestdeutschland
Luftflotte 3 Südwestdeutschland
Luftflotte 4 Südostdeutschland
Luftflotte 1 Nordrußland
Luftflotte 2 Nordafrika, Italien und Griechenland
Luftflotte 3 Frankreich, Niederlande und Belgien
Luftflotte 4 Südrußland
Luftflotte 5 Norwegen und Finnland
Luftflotte 6 Russische Front
Luftflotte 1 Baltischer Raum
Luftflotte 2 Norditalien
Luftflotte 3 Frankreich, Niederlande und Belgien
Luftflotte 4 Ungarn, Yugoslawien, Bulgarien und Rumänien
Luftflotte 6 Russische Ostfront
Luftflotte Reich Deutschland
Anfang 1945
Luftflotte 1 Litauen
Luftflotte 2 Norditalien
Luftflotte 3 Westdeutschland und Niederlande
Luftflotte 4 Ungarn und Yugoslawien
Luftflotte 6 Ostfront
Luftflotte Reich Zentraldeutschland[/i]

Is everything completely mixed up by now?
Regards

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”