Nazi Jet-Planes?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Grand Admiral

Nazi Jet-Planes?

Post by Grand Admiral » 07 Nov 2003 15:57

I thought I read some place that the Germans had jet-planes towards the end of the war. Any help on this one?

WikingSoldat

Post by WikingSoldat » 07 Nov 2003 16:08

They had many jet and rocket aircrafts, He Wolksjæger, Me 262, Me Comet and several more that where flying and fighting against the Allies.
One of them, Horten Flying Wing (Amerika Bomber) where to take an atomic bomb and drop it over USA. Orders where given early 1945

Hundreds of projects where on the German drawing boards when war ended.

Here are some sites:
http://www.luft46.com/
http://usuarios.lycos.es/pedritus/catalog_3.html

WikingSoldat

Images belongs to luft46.com
Last edited by WikingSoldat on 07 Nov 2003 19:59, edited 2 times in total.

MadderCat

Post by MadderCat » 07 Nov 2003 17:01

used towards the end of WW2 by the germans were:
Messerschmitt Me262
Heinkel He162
Arado Ar234

others were mere projects or just mock-ups like the Focke-Wulf Ta-183,
which influenced the design of the MiG-15

german research informations about jet-engines & high velocity influencedd after the war
the development of the swedish SaaB J-29 Tunnan, russian MiG-9, MiG-15,
Yak-15, american F-86 Sabre and some others

MadderCat

stevezz1

Post by stevezz1 » 07 Nov 2003 19:29

Hi All,

Wow, that ME110199 looks very similar to the American Black Bird.

I know a lot of German rocket and jet scientists were taken to America after the war, and contributed to their jet plane program, and then the space rockets....Does anyone know if they were involved in the design of the Black Bird.....?

Regards,

Steve.

Germania

Post by Germania » 07 Nov 2003 19:39

But the planed jets are really revolutionary and today you can find much of this ideas and plans in actual jets!
Good book about this theme is " Deutsche Luftwaffe 1933-45" from Nowara

WikingSoldat

Post by WikingSoldat » 07 Nov 2003 19:39

stevezz1 wrote:Hi All,

Wow, that ME110199 looks very similar to the American Black Bird.

I know a lot of German rocket and jet scientists were taken to America after the war, and contributed to their jet plane program, and then the space rockets....Does anyone know if they were involved in the design of the Black Bird.....?

Regards,

Steve.
Yes. Another aircraft from USA, the B2 got its design from the Horten Flying Wing (Amerika Bomber). The Horten Flying Wing was difficult to track on the radar.

MadderCat
Its true what you are writing, but remember the Me Comet. It used rocket engine, yes, but fast as hell.

WikingSoldat
Last edited by WikingSoldat on 07 Nov 2003 19:57, edited 2 times in total.

Locke

Post by Locke » 07 Nov 2003 19:51

Lippisch's airplanes are very interesting, altough they weren't used in combat. Here's a pic of Lippisch P13.
Designed by Alexander Lippisch the P13 was a radical design, typical of many being produced in Germany both before and after the second world war. It was to have been powered by a ramjet whilst in normal flight, using a rocket motor for take off and to get it to a speed where the ramjet could be started. Due to conventional fuel shortages it was planned that powdered coal would have been used. There was no undercarriage built in as the aircraft would have used its under fuselage skid for take off and landing. The P13 was never actually built, but the concept was proved by the unpowered Lippisch DM-1 glider version. It was extensively tested in the USA after the war and found to have very good handling characteristics. Also wind tunnel tests showed that the P13 had excellent stability up to Mach 2.6.

From http://www.jstokes99.freeserve.co.uk/de ... ppisch.htm

Regards,
Polona

WikingSoldat

Post by WikingSoldat » 07 Nov 2003 19:55

The Arado Ar234, if you ask me, helped the USA to design the B52 bomber. The images below show it with 2 engines, but there where a 4 engine version as well.

WikingSoldat

Locke

Post by Locke » 07 Nov 2003 20:20

Arado 234 is also a very interesting plane. It was the first reactive bomber in the world. Early planes didn't have undercarriage - only a special "cart" which fell on the ground after taking off and a special "ski" for landing. Look at this photo
Later versions had retractable undercarriage.

Regards,
Polona

cuski

Re: Nazi Jet-Planes?

Post by cuski » 07 Nov 2003 20:49

Grand Admiral wrote:I thought I read some place that the Germans had jet-planes towards the end of the war. Any help on this one?
Here's an interesting article about what is considered to be one of the most advanced fighters of WW2: the Me 163 Komet.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.wal ... light1.htm

Oh, and as to the title of this thread: I didn't know planes had political convictions.

Matt Gibbs

Jest and Rockets

Post by Matt Gibbs » 08 Nov 2003 01:48

The Me 163 was not, of course a Jet fighter, it was rocket propelled.

The first successful flown german built jet figther prototype was the Heinkel 280, this first jet twin engined plane, prior to this the Heinkel factory built a single engined jet experimental airframe which was the first jet aircraft to fly, with an engine designed by Hans von Ohain.

This was highly revolutionary at the time, if only the RLM had thought of the possibilities sooner the Germans could hae sunk more and better resources into the jet turbine development form 1939, rather than burying thier heads in the sand because they already had fast piston engined planes. Mind you, probably a good idea they didn't!

I think the most successful types were the Arado and the Me 262, although possibly the 262 overshadows most others, I think the arado was probably the better bet from a point of viw of being able to carry a decent bomb payload.

The Arado was used on the first successful flights of reconnaissance on D Day photographing the south coast ports of the UK.

Regards

Matt Gibbs

Erich

Me 262 site

Post by Erich » 08 Nov 2003 04:56

for Me 262's go here :

http://www.stormbirds.com

Definately the Arado 234 as a jet bomber over the Me 262.

~E

Xavier
Financial supporter

Post by Xavier » 08 Nov 2003 05:14

for ME 163B, please visit:

http://www.sml.lr.tudelft.nl/~home/rob/me163.htm

best page I have seen on this plane, well organized, by code...lots of internal links at bottom of main page, links ot surviving aircraft too.
lots of nice pics...

regards

Xavier
the link scrounger

Mauser K98k

Post by Mauser K98k » 08 Nov 2003 07:11

I would recommend reading Mano Ziegler's very interesting book "Rocket Fighter" about flying and dogfighting in the Me163 Komet. Ziegler and his komrads had superhuman courage to fly those nasty unforgiving little bastards.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » 08 Nov 2003 09:48

The ME 262 was originally built has a jet fighter and began to have signifiacant effect against the allied fighter planes. However, Hitler wanted and had them converted into bombers. This obviously changed their performance and the allied fighters regained the upper hand, before their use changed the tide of air superiority.
Duncan

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”