Luftwaffe Rotation

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Unteroffizier_Tyler

Luftwaffe Rotation

Post by Unteroffizier_Tyler » 18 Dec 2003 13:08

Does anyone know why the Luftwaffe didn't rotate their pilots out of combat like the Western Allies? I know that because they werent rotated as much that they had much, much higher kills.

Polynike

Post by Polynike » 18 Dec 2003 21:38

id guess that the allied powers had a much larger manpower pool and could afford to rotate their pilots with much less of an effect than the germans.

Eindecker

Post by Eindecker » 18 Dec 2003 22:00

From my understanding the philosophy was just different between the US pilots and the Germans. The Germans felt that an experienced pilot would be in a better position to train the newly arriving pilots. However the fact remained that the chance of them finishing the war dropped off significantly. In the first couple of years it lookd very prommising, but after the Battle fo Britian and the declining sucess in Russia, it became very dismal. Most squadrons had the pilots sign a photo that was then given to the commander, if that individual died the photo with 'words from beyond the grave' would be posted somewhere. The USA figured that if they rotated the pilots they had a much better reason for fighting. If there is a glimmer of hope that at the end of a year or so many missions you get to go home - then the pilot is more willing to 'get the job done' however the veterans experience did not always transfew very well because of this. The idea of 25 missions in Europe and 35 in the Pacific theatres did not always work out - my Grandfather was promised that he could go home after his 35 missions with a DFC, however 60 missions and two solid years of combat was when he was finally transfered home.

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”