Luftwaffe Commanding Officer

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Horvath

Luftwaffe Commanding Officer

Post by Horvath » 04 Mar 2004 18:25

Who was the Luftwaffe's Commanding Officer(the one who was incharge of commanding the whole luftwaffe,its actions and stuff),from 1939 till 1945,in the time of WWII in short.
thanks.

_The_General_

Post by _The_General_ » 04 Mar 2004 19:11

GORING

Horvath

Post by Horvath » 04 Mar 2004 19:14

Oh right,Herman Goring.

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 07 Mar 2004 05:09

I think it was a really bad choice by Hitler to name Goring as the Commanding Officer of the whole Luftwaffe. How about Adolph Galland or Otto Kittel. Maybe they were not member of the NSDAP that's why.

Regards

Tracer

Post by Tracer » 07 Mar 2004 05:56

Galland would have been a great choice.. but he didn't have that high of a rank at the time when a CO was being appointed. I doubt he was even close to be on the list.. NSDAP party membership or no..

-cheers

PS his book "The First and the Last" was a really great read. just FYI ;)

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 08 Mar 2004 14:15

Benoit Douville wrote:I think it was a really bad choice by Hitler to name Goring as the Commanding Officer of the whole Luftwaffe. How about Adolph Galland or Otto Kittel. Maybe they were not member of the NSDAP that's why.

Regards
When chosen Goring was the obvious choice.
1 He had a exceptional career in WW 1 ending as Kdr Jagdgeschwader Richthofen
2 He was senior enough to be able to deal on equal terms with senior army officers
3 He was powerful enough to deal with any revolts judge his performance in the destruction of the SA
I will agree that his performance during the war was appalling but he was the only one with the right credentials in 1933 - 1935. All the others mentioned were far to junior
Philmil

Jeremy Chan

Post by Jeremy Chan » 13 Mar 2004 04:51

Galland and Kittel were too young and too lowly ranked when the Luftwaffe was being prepared (it was formally announced in 1935). In fact, I don't think Galland or Kittel were even in the military at the time? Also, Galland had said he'd really preffered a position in the field rather than a desk job, even though he was an advisor to the Argentine air force postwar.

Also, it's spelt and pronounced GöRING, OR GOERING, NOT 'GORING'. Hermann Goering. Besides, Goering was a memeber of the SA and NSDAP right from the very start, and a war hero, which appealed to many. It's just to bad that he was doped up on morphine in the 20's, shouldn't got that toothache. Maybe the morphine addled his brains a bit. :D

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”