German Attacks on American Airfields in England

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
timman19

German Attacks on American Airfields in England

Post by timman19 » 06 May 2004 14:11

I was watching Memphis Belle the other night and had a question. Did the Luftwaffe ever attempt to attack American B-17 bases in England? It would make a lot of sense to try and knock them out on the ground instead of in the air. My thought is that perhaps they did but perhaps they were hampered by resources or considered such attacks to risky and would incur have losses. Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

panzertruppe2001

Post by panzertruppe2001 » 06 May 2004 17:46

I do not know if attacked or tried to attack USAF airports in England, but attacked the B 17 based in Poltava, Ukraine in 1944

Hans_Rudel

Luftwaffe Attack

Post by Hans_Rudel » 06 May 2004 17:50

Maybe look at the Luftwaffe air assault against Allied Airfields in Belgium, Holland and northern France on Jan. 1st, 1945? I don't know too much about it but I do know that the Allies lost about 300 Aircraft in the raid and were surprised by the attack. Luftwaffe losses were something like 200 aircrafts; a considerable number of those planes were shot down by German anti-aircraft fire. It is basically known as the Luftwaffe's last stand

Erich

Post by Erich » 06 May 2004 18:18

the last statements fit well into the book by two Dutch authors Ron Putz and John Manhro. Bodenplatte. the two men have done incredible research for this little known event.

http://hikokiwarplanes.com

search through the new listings and U will find it.

Unternehmen Gislea was also another German a/c raid but done at night on March 3/4 1945 to co-incide with heavy RAF bombers upon their landing approach but any airstrip was to be bombed and strafed and of course a/c in the air shot down. A couple of B-17's were shot down this night but they were under RAF control.

Erich

Kurt_Steiner

Post by Kurt_Steiner » 07 May 2004 18:02

Perhaps attacking the B-17 bases in England was out of reach of the Luftwaffe in 1943-45.

On Unternehem Gisela:

http://pub157.ezboard.com/fluftwaffeexp ... =109.topic

Best regards

Colbro

Post by Colbro » 07 May 2004 18:14

Luftwaffe resources were surely by then overstretched, particularly with regard to the Russian campaign. I'm sure they probably tried it but would imagine that at the juncture of the war, with both American and British fighter aircraft now being in much greater supply than in 1940, along with improved radar, rocket and AAA batteries, such incursions would have been pretty suicidal. I think they had their hands full and were concentrating on air defence, night fighters etc, to counter the ever present threat of air raids on their homeland.

Erich

Post by Erich » 07 May 2004 20:08

actually no the air bases were not out of the reach. The Luftwaffe especially the NF crews and the powers to be wanted to make a statement and it was envisioned much earlier in the war via NJG 2 which proceeded to attack Engliosh a/c until der Führer ordered the nuisance radis stopped. the idea brought back up for numerous night time missions but kept getting postponed until March of 45. I beleive there was a total of 3 raids done by NJG Ju 88G-6's in March and April of 1945.

What could be done can only be imagined if the course had been set in 1943 early 1944 and then the RAF would of had to change it's tactics and the US bases may have had to move back. It would of been obvious too that the US 422nd and 425th nfs' would of stayed in England to protect the US 8th AF bases from Luftwaffe night intruders.........but we will never know.

E

brustcan

Re: German Attacks on American Airfields in England

Post by brustcan » 07 May 2004 22:52

timman19 wrote:I was watching Memphis Belle the other night and had a question. Did the Luftwaffe ever attempt to attack American B-17 bases in England? It would make a lot of sense to try and knock them out on the ground instead of in the air. My thought is that perhaps they did but perhaps they were hampered by resources or considered such attacks to risky and would incur have losses. Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The Luftwaffe started night intruder missions during the summer of 1941.
The German radio-intercept service headed by a Captain Kuhlmann, had
specially trained operators to listen to the British sets, adjusted to the same wave-lengths. When the British turned their sets to check them before takeoff, the information was immediately passed on the Luftwaffe's
only long distance night fighter gruppe I/NJG 2 based at Gilze-Rijen, Holland. On June 25, 1941 the gruppe received information that 16 bombers were taking off from Hemswell and 24 from Waddington. These
were twin engined Hamptons from No. 5 Group. The night fighters were
divided into three groups, one would try to hit the airfields before takeoff,
the other would try to intercept over the North Sea, and the final group would follow the bombers back to base and shoot them down in the
landing pattern. Luftwaffe plane types used were Do-17 and Ju-88 with
solid noses housing cannon and machine guns. British anti-aircraft guns
had to remain silent, so not to hit heir own planes. Germans even dropped
100lb. fragmentation bombs amongst the taxiing bombers. Quite a number
of pilots became very successful in this specialized method of attack. The gruppe never had more than 20 serviceable aircraft. Kammhuber in charge
of all the night fighters tried to get more aircraft. On October 13, 1941
a direct order from Hitler, stopped all intruder missions over England. The
German people wanted to "see" the terror bombers brought down beside
their own shattered buildings!! said Hitler. The gruppe was posted to the
Mediterranean, in Sicily. From 1941 to 1945 the RAF and American bombers were able to operate undisturbed from their home bases, contributing decisively to Germany's final downfall. thanks brustcan

Erich

Post by Erich » 07 May 2004 23:00

see friend Heinz Rökker's book on I./NJG 2, a must have !

Erich ~ 8)

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”