Aircraft production at the end of the war

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
ballack1301

Aircraft production at the end of the war

Post by ballack1301 » 10 May 2004, 06:37

I was wondering why that near the end of the war when the allies were heavily bombing the german aircraft industry, the production of aircraft were at its peak in the whole war? Can someone give me any type of info relating to this please?

Ome_Joop

Post by Ome_Joop » 10 May 2004, 20:50

At the first years of the war (when Germany was still counting on a quick victory) the production of aircraft was not at it's full.
After their defeat in the West (Battle of Brittain) and losses of aircraft began to rise production also rised(more and more resources came available and were necassarry for aircraft production), also the production began to shift from bombers to the more needed fighters!
It's easier to built a fighter than a bomber (altough Adolf preffered to have Bombers in the Luftwaffe....one of the reasons the Me-262 was so delayed, Hitler wanted it to be a Jet bomber).
When the Allies began to bomb Germany(factories) production facilities became more spread out in the country and began to built smaller parts to be assembled somewhere else (easier construction/mass production of single parts).

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.c ... production

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.c ... ring%20WW2

ballack1301

Post by ballack1301 » 11 May 2004, 07:28

thanks for that!

bryson109

Post by bryson109 » 11 May 2004, 16:48

Another reason is that german "recycled" A/c, battle damaged a/c were sent the repair centres, or factories. Damaged a/c could be reparied, and very badly damaged, a/c parts could be used to make new a/c(the undamgaed parts at least). There is a case of a Fw 190F-8 being resoted and inside the a/c a second ID plate was found which said it was an 190 A-7. The a/c had been recycled by German a/c industry.

Cantankerous

Re: Aircraft production at the end of the war

Post by Cantankerous » 15 Sep 2023, 17:23

ballack1301 wrote:
10 May 2004, 06:37
I was wondering why that near the end of the war when the allies were heavily bombing the german aircraft industry, the production of aircraft were at its peak in the whole war? Can someone give me any type of info relating to this please?
The graph of WW2 aircraft production on plate 175 of the book The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Military Aircraft: 1914 to the Present by Enzo Angelucci shows that after reaching a peak of 39,800 aircraft in 1944, German aircraft production dropped to 8,000 aircraft by the time the Third Reich collapsed.

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”