Art of the Luftwaffe

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Stuka Pilot

Post by Stuka Pilot » 16 Dec 2005, 11:31

Stuka Pilot

Last edited by Stuka Pilot on 16 Dec 2005, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

Stuka Pilot

Erich

Post by Erich » 16 Dec 2005, 18:08

Storm my comments were not pointed towards you, my comments were on the authenticity of the painting only and for historical correctness. Since you were kind enough to share the ehanger comments I added mine and am sure Mr Bailey is not going to appreciate my additions but they again are for historical accuracy and in this case I know of what I speak

best and the above painting of a I./NJG 1 Uhu should have the radar canted in one direction only. This for accuracy as I am sure some of you appreciate this....

Erich ~

Cons

Post by Cons » 21 Dec 2005, 21:18

krztalizer

"Ramraider"? Huh?

Post by krztalizer » 25 Dec 2005, 09:12

Hi, Erich - Merry Christmas to you.

Is it just me or does the aft fuselage look all wrong? It almost seems to droop - as if its not exactly lined up with the rest of the aircraft.

At any rate, I've never heard of a "ramraider" - have you? Horst and Oskar would laugh at this one. :wink:

yfG

krztalizer

Dark Defenders

Post by krztalizer » 25 Dec 2005, 09:27

Hey, Stormbird - is that you, Dave..?

I was at the signing for this one - it was interesting to say the least...

I like Rob't Bailey and think he is getting better at his craft. I'd recommend him to any collector. The only "but" is that he seems to include to dang many trains in his aviation paintings! Other than that, there will always be a debate between "interesting paintings", instead of "accurate paintings". I understand why - you have to be able to sell the paintings, so if they are '100% accurate, but boring', or 'exciting but not entirely accurate', he has to make decisions based on whether or not he can sell his work.

In regards to this latest work (the Kdo Welter "Red 6" painting), there are a few minor problems with the print BUT the result is a painting that most Luftwaffe art collectors would want on their wall. Magdeburg's airfield looked quite a bit different than that (a runway between a row of buildings and a row of hangars?); Kdo Welter never launched a sortie to intercept a Lancaster raid; there was no "Red 1" in Kdo Welter; the NJG 5 gruppe (the traditional NF unit that shared B-b-Mag airfield with NJG 11) was using Ju 88s at this time in the war, not Bf 110 Gs; "Red 6" is crossing over the airfield at an odd angle at low altitude.

-That stated-, I love the print. It shows my favorite unit, Kommando Welter, operating my favorite aircraft in my favorite role. No complaints.

Next, I want Mr. Bailey to do a print of Herr Busch doing his magnificent swan dive-to-a-perfect cartwheel crash landing of his Me 262 at Neuburg.

In two weeks, Hans celebrates his "Second Birthday", the 60th anniversary of that moment of rebirth. Imagine the image of his strickened, single-engined Me 262 hurtling over the berm, barely clearing the farmhouse, stalling, plowing, wing-down, into the bare farmer's field as the farmer stares on incredulously. Two quick cartwheels as the once-sleek jet bomber sheds parts, then a blinding flash. The next moment, the soft earth accepts all the flaming bits of a thousand shards of deformed metal. The field is instantly smoldering from dozens of small fires - pyres cloud the whole scene. As the thunderous report of the explosion fades into the distance, the aircraft has simply vanished. There are no pieces left - no wings, no tail, not even a mangled turbine engine. All that remains are the dozens of small fires and glittering, twisted metal scattered across a wide fan-shaped impact area.

There was, of course, one exception. Out in the middle of the field, surrounded by the quickly dying fires, was a weird object that looked quite a bit like a small bathtub. Seated in the "bathtub", the young Leutnant Hans Busch sits up and takes in the whole scene around him. With a hand to the small cut on his forehead, Hans stands up in the cockpit tub of his obliterated Me 262. The tub, meant to protect its pilot from enemy MG rounds, has cradled Hans and preserved his life, in the midst of a devasting explosion.

Where is my helmet? - he wonders. I wrapped the cords around my belt, just like always - but now the helmet and oxygen mask is gone. In the face of absolutely certain death, the question on his mind is not, "How could I have lived?" - but "Where the heck has my helmet gone?"

Find a way to paint that ... I'd buy it in a second...

v/r Gordon

Kurt_Steiner

Post by Kurt_Steiner » 25 Dec 2005, 10:39

Merry Christmas to all!

Be happy :D

krztalizer

Italieri artist

Post by krztalizer » 25 Dec 2005, 10:42

That artist (Paulli) really made me wince - his Me 262 pictures specifically. In the first, he illustrates a bombed-up bomber-version (Me 262 A-2a) but paints it with RVT "Defense of the Reich" fighter markings. 8O Its frustrating to see such a basic mistake. Then, on the second painting, he shows a single-seat Me 262 A fighter, and sticks aux tanks under the nose! *never* happened, not once. All he had to do is crack a book and he'd know better. Such errors pass beyond the normal "I did it to make it exciting" excuse, and go directly to the "I was too lazy to get it right" reason. Arrrrgggghhh...

Nomble

Post by Nomble » 31 Dec 2005, 00:34

Stormbird

Post by Stormbird » 31 Dec 2005, 00:53

Nomble wrote:Image
Cool pic you got any info on it......Artist, title, where i can get it??????

Valtoro

Post by Valtoro » 31 Dec 2005, 14:40

From http://www.ju88.net (Propeganda section)

/valtoro.

Trigo

Post by Trigo » 01 Sep 2006, 14:29

Greetings everyone!
I noticed that this is the place to post artwork related to the Luftwaffe..so i'm posting some black & white artworks, and i would like to know from u all.. how accurate they are! my priority in life is art and some of these artists are my all-time favorites.. but how accurate are they to the real thing?

Thanks..

N.B. a name for the aircrafts would be useful of course!!

Trigo

Post by Trigo » 01 Sep 2006, 14:37

what types of airplanes?
Attachments
bermejo, luis.jpg
bermejo, luis.jpg (127.82 KiB) Viewed 2457 times

Trigo

Post by Trigo » 01 Sep 2006, 14:53

another one same artist... aircrafts?!
Attachments
bermejo 2.jpg
bermejo 2.jpg (160.98 KiB) Viewed 2452 times