Aircraft in operation "Typhoon"?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
cs

Aircraft in operation "Typhoon"?

Post by cs » 20 Aug 2004 22:21

Whether somebody can say number and type of aircraft in a structure 2 Luftflotte in October and November, 1941.
Can be is link on site where there is such information

Cyril

Chaser

Aircraft in operation "Typhoon"

Post by Chaser » 26 Aug 2004 19:38

I dig up a little information about the "Typhoon" operation and i found this:
"According to the plan, troops were deployed on the positions shaped in the battle of Smolensk, regrouped and reinforced. The left wing of the German forces, which had to encircle Moscow from the north, comprised the 9th Army and the 3rd Armoured Group. In the centre there were deployed the 4th Army and the 4th Armoured Group, which had to carry out the frontal attack and co-operate with the wings. The right wing of the German forces, designated to encircle Moscow from the south, comprised the 2nd Army and the 2nd Armoured Group. The 2nd Air Fleet provided air supportThe beginning of the operation was set on 2 October at 5:30."
Which means that there was an aerial support for the german army....

Cantankerous

Re: Aircraft in operation "Typhoon"

Post by Cantankerous » 09 Jan 2023 04:54

Chaser wrote:
26 Aug 2004 19:38
I dig up a little information about the "Typhoon" operation and i found this:
"According to the plan, troops were deployed on the positions shaped in the battle of Smolensk, regrouped and reinforced. The left wing of the German forces, which had to encircle Moscow from the north, comprised the 9th Army and the 3rd Armoured Group. In the centre there were deployed the 4th Army and the 4th Armoured Group, which had to carry out the frontal attack and co-operate with the wings. The right wing of the German forces, designated to encircle Moscow from the south, comprised the 2nd Army and the 2nd Armoured Group. The 2nd Air Fleet provided air supportThe beginning of the operation was set on 2 October at 5:30."
Which means that there was an aerial support for the german army....
This thread may be almost two decades old, but as noted by Bergström (2007), the Luftflotte 2 operated 549 serviceable machines, including 158 medium and dive-bombers and 172 fighters, during Operation Typhoon. This means that it's reasonable to assume that the Ju 87 dive bomber, Bf 109 and Fw 190 air superiority fighters, and He 111 and Ju 88 bombers were among the Luftwaffe planes used in Operation Typhoon.

Reference:
Bergström, C., 2007. Barbarossa – The Air Battle: July–December 1941. London: Chevron/Ian Allan. ISBN 978-1-85780-270-2.

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”