Lilya Litvak - The "White Rose" of Stalingrad.

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
david Cotton

Lilya Litvak - The "White Rose" of Stalingrad.

Post by david Cotton » 15 Dec 2004 22:26

:? Hello
I have been reading a bit on the white rose of stalingrad. I have read that she was killed when 8 German fighters picked her out and worked together to bring her down.

Does anybody know of evidance that the Germans actually knew of her and targeted her. I also read that she shot down a decorated german ace, who was very upset about being shot down by a woman. I have read that German pilots were reported to warn each other of her presence.

Any information on Lilya Latvak from the luftwaffe point of view would be very interesting.

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 16 Dec 2004 08:24

I have never heard of such, but radiolistening was eazy. I recall Hans Wind had a hair racing duel with a female and was underdog when he run outa ammos....then also the soviet female run outa ammos..flew her plane beside Winds Bewster and smiled and broke left ! :lol:

varjag
Financial supporter

Re: Lilya Litvak - The "White Rose" of Stalingrad.

Post by varjag » 16 Dec 2004 12:03

david Cotton wrote::? Hello
I have been reading a bit on the white rose of stalingrad. I have read that she was killed when 8 German fighters picked her out and worked together to bring her down.

Does anybody know of evidance that the Germans actually knew of her and targeted her. I also read that she shot down a decorated german ace, who was very upset about being shot down by a woman. I have read that German pilots were reported to warn each other of her presence.

Any information on Lilya Latvak from the luftwaffe point of view would be very interesting.
I find it unbelievable that in a running air-battle any individual enemy pilot was identified and hounded. That it took eight Messer's to shoot her down appears normal with a skilled pilot 'in for the chop' but that an entire German Jagdstaffel knew that Lilya Litvak was flying the Jak-fighter with number '23' and hence concentrated on her aircraft - seems to me a later invention of Soviet propaganda.

david Cotton

White Rose Of Stalingrad

Post by david Cotton » 16 Dec 2004 19:25

Hello
I agree with what you are saying all the way, but are there any comments in Luftwaffe reports regarding her. I would assume that the sovet propaganda would of made her a well known pilot to the troops, so I can imagine that the Germans knew about her.

However, i do not think they would of been able to identify her in the air, unless they knew she was one of a small group of planes in an area.

When you read how many times aircraft are miss identified in combat, it is easy to see how hard it is to confirm any thing in an air battle.

David

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous » 14 Mar 2021 16:15

Lydia Litvyak and her comrades were dubbed the "Night Witches" by the Luftwaffe because German forces likened the sounds of the engines made by the night bomber planes flown by the "Night Witches" to the broomsticks wielded by witches.

Link:
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/ ... rmy-172364

Grzesio

Post by Grzesio » 14 Mar 2021 16:30

Lidia Litvak was a fighter pilot, the nickname Night Witches was allegedly applied to the 46th Guard's Night Bomber Aviation Regiment, operating U-2 LNB biplanes. ;)

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”