Gebirgsluftwaffe.....

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Gebirgsluftwaffe.....

Post by Christoph Awender » 02 Sep 2002, 10:56

Hello!

Does anyone know more about recreation and training facilities of the Luftwaffe in the Alps. Found some interesting fotos which you might find also interesting.

Luftwaffe medics training at St.Christoph
St.Christoph
Flieger auf Brettln at the Südwiener Hütte
A Unteroffizier teaches how to wax skies
Saying goodbye to the skiing-instructor at Schloss Tandalier
Schloß Tandalier today

Christoph

Matt Gibbs

Reading

Post by Matt Gibbs » 02 Sep 2002, 13:16

From books I have read I recall reading in the Komet book by Spate that they sent pilots for acclimatisation at high altitude to a mountain resort where it was found that by the pilots climbing up and down the mountain they got more acclimatised to the altitude than just staying in a hotel at the top, now I need to re-read the book to find out where it was! I do recall they found out because two of the men were able to withstand higher altitudes in test chambers because the took clandestine trips to visit the pretty alpine girls in the lower villages at night!!
Regards
MG

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

thanks...

Post by Christoph Awender » 02 Sep 2002, 13:46

Thanks Matt... you´re right! Didn´t think of that but sounds logical to make the organism accustomed to high altitudes/thin air. Didn´t think of that before.

Christoph

Erich

Post by Erich » 02 Sep 2002, 15:27

Christoph :

First, great pics ! I have some similiar ones somewhere.......wishing I had a scanner anyway. It was quite common for Luftwaffe personell to take a holiday when given leave, to the Gebirgs, as well as Heer and othe military troops. As for the Me 163 pilots, well it would also have to be for high cover Bf 109 as well as Me 262 pilots if I read the posting by Matt correctly. I don;t think it really mattered who actually went as the medics pictured clearly shows......

E

varjag
In memoriam

Luftwaffe climbs high?

Post by varjag » 03 Sep 2002, 13:39

For Pete's sake, how high were these mountains? The very nice piccies look much more like the R & R that Fatty Hermann could 'pull' for his Luftwaffians,than anything having to do with altitude adaption!

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

St.Christoph

Post by Christoph Awender » 03 Sep 2002, 14:03

Varjag!

And this from an Australian... :-)

St.Christoph is about 2900m high. Not that high but the highest mountain in Austria is just 3798m high and you can feel a difference already in stamina and power up there.

Christoph

varjag
In memoriam

Training aircrew skiing in mountains

Post by varjag » 05 Sep 2002, 12:54

Chris Awender - poor Australia can only boast a peak 2745 metres high so how can we compete with Austria...but I stand by my opinion, those piccies look much more like R&R than any serious altitude training.

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

sorry

Post by Christoph Awender » 05 Sep 2002, 16:20

Varjaq...I Know that...I was just kidding... no offence.
I agree with you completely.

Christoph

varjag
In memoriam

Ski-ing Holidays

Post by varjag » 08 Sep 2002, 13:41

OK Chris - no offence taken - (I thought I'd trap you with the 2745 M peak and that you'd run to your atlas and come back guns blazing to tell me Australias highst peak is only some 2225 - It is.) But the 2745 M peak is in Heard Island [that noone ever HEARD of] in the Arctic Ocean. For some forgotten reasons - it is Australian territory. Rgds, Varjag

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”