Best Non German Axis Fighter in WW2

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Sam H.

Post by Sam H. » 29 Oct 2002, 22:36

If nothing else the ZERO is definately the most famous of the options.

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 29 Oct 2002, 23:15

gabriel pagliarani wrote:Sir Caldric,
I don't remember if Ki-100 or Ki-84 had to be lightened more than half metric ton by mean the too much intensive fittings by mean of too many nuts & bolts instead of TIG soldering? I remember only jap names "Hayate" and "Hayabusa"...do you think too really they were not only the best nip-planes but the very best of Axis extra-Germany? I never heard before a comment about WW2 planes so far from reality. 8O
In the list there is not the very best of Italian fighters Reggiane Re-2005 "Sagittario" (The archer) produced in a number similar to the Hayate before Sept 8 1943 or the following Re2006 produced in only 2 prototipes.
I never seen this post, but yes I think the Japanese made much better planes then the Italian fighters of the period. The Zero before 1943 with minor upgrades were better then the Archer, and perhaps even better then the German 109 series.

Cantankerous

Re: Best Non German Axis Fighter in WW2

Post by Cantankerous » 16 May 2020, 20:58

I consider the Zero and Oscar the best non-German Axis fighters of World War II. The Zero was very advanced and thus came as a shock to the Americans when it attacked Hickam Air Base as part of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor because the US had long judged Japanese military technology inferior. The Ki-43, on the other hand, had an excellent climb rate and became adored by IJA fighter pilots.

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”