Heinkel 177

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
phylo_roadking

Re: Heinkel-177

Post by phylo_roadking » 19 Jul 2010, 17:19

Personally I think RAF Bomber Command really missed the boat on this issue. The Mosquito was an excellent fast bomber with enough combat radius to reach much of Germany with a useful payload. But most were used at high altitude dropping marker bombs for heavy bombers or conductng decoy raids to confuse German air defenses. Instead they should have sent 100 aircraft raids at low level to systemically destroy every major German factory. With 1,000 Mosquitos ILO 1,000 heavy bombers you could accurately attack 10 different German targets on a single night. Even if you lose 100 Mosquitos that's still less expensive then losing 50 heavy bombers. And you achieve something of military value.
Ahem....the FNSF? :wink: :lol:
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

kriegsmarine221

Post by kriegsmarine221 » 19 Jul 2010, 20:13

phylo_roadking wrote:
Simply put: If a Ju 86 can do it then another plane like the He 177 could do it even better. The Luftwaffe flying at extreme altitudes would still be safe from the RAF (They would have to see how the Westland Welkin turns out), interceptions by their standard fighters were still difficult and rare, involving totally stripping down spitfires. The few interceptions there would be could easily be fended off by defensive gunners.
This doesn't follow AT ALL :wink: Compare a Vickers Wellington for instance with its "replacement"....the Avro Manchester! :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. what defensive gunners? The armament of the 86P had to be reduced to ONE (1) MG to save the weight of a gunner, his weapon, and its ammunition :wink: Not that the 86 was ever well-armed anyway!

There's also the simple major argument against all of that - precision bombing at that altitude was next to impossible 8O I really do NOT want to have to recycle it all AGAIN, but by now we should ALL know that the RAF spent three years attempting this.....and proved to be less than useless at it! The Germans were just the same. The lesson of WWII was that you couldn't bomb from very high altitude unless you chose to hit something like....a city. As in - a target ten or twenty miles across 8O The air fleets the British and Amercians had to build to do this were larger than the entire force the Luftwaffe arrayed against England in the summer of 1940 :P By the end of the war, for instance, the RAF Heavy Bomber force comprised 3,500 aircraft It was SO large that they had run out of useful targets for it, the FNSF's 1,500 Mosquitos were far more effective!
I meant the defensive gunners on the He-177 :roll:

Yes the Mosquito was an excellent fast bomber but that was a British aircraft not a German one as we're supposed to be discussing. If the Germans had anything near being the equivalent of a Mosquito then...well. Can't think of one, maybe the Me-410?

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 19 Jul 2010, 20:46

And there we have the really big problem in a nutshell - time. For example - the Mosquito vs. the Me410. The 410 had to grow out of the "failed" 210, and thus arrived in service in 1943....whereas the Mosquito predated it by two years at every stage. And despite being a "later" aircraft - it was still a relative failure. Germany simply never picked up all those lost years of model-on-model, mark-on-mark development experience - and it was still by the middle of the war, their "high point", causing German designers to throw up turkeys, even with the resources of "Totalische Krieg" to throw at them :wink:

The Nazis could have thrown everything at the problem in the middle of the 1930s - but they had over a decade of missed experience designing military aircraft to make up, and they never quite managed it - even with the way the war telescoped development times :wink: If they'd started the war with a strategic bomber force of aircraft of the capacity of the He177 - they'd have to have been aircraft designed in 1935-36 - and as I've told Roddoss before elsewhere, the bombers that Germany WAS designing in 1935-36 were truly poor 8O You can't simply magic that vital missed decade out of existence.
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....

Dave Bender

Post by Dave Bender » 20 Jul 2010, 02:11

If the Germans had anything near being the equivalent of a Mosquito
If Germany wants to get serious about strategic bombing then the Ju-288 and Jumo222 engine should enter mass production during 1942. Nothing else comes close in performance. A Mosquito on steroids.
3,000kg bomb bay.
416mph max speed.
750 mile combat radius with max internal bomb load.

100 of these bombing from low level would destroy pretty much anything. And they can out run WWII era night fighter aircraft.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 20 Jul 2010, 02:30

416mph max speed.
750 mile combat radius with max internal bomb load.

100 of these bombing from low level would destroy pretty much anything. And they can out run WWII era night fighter aircraft.
The max speed I''ve seen for the 288 was 388mph...fast yes, but remember that's a maximum speed. Given that the Ju288 never actually reached series production or regular squadron service, we don't actually know if that speed was with or without full bombload/full fuel load! 8O

At the minute that's like saying the "maximum speed" of the Fw 187 was 395 mph...and not necessarily remembering that THAT speed was achieved in special record-setting flights in October 1939 - at the cost of skin buckling and distortion! Its "normal" maximum speed was down at 329 mph!!! :wink: A whopping 66mph LESS...

It's also worth remembering that you've posited TWO big PODs there....both the Ju-288 entering production, and probably earlier than it could....

AND that the Jumo 222 could be made to work!!! 8O http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Jumo_222

Dave Bender

Post by Dave Bender » 20 Jul 2010, 03:16

It's also worth remembering that you've posited TWO big PODs there....both the Ju-288 entering production, and probably earlier than it could....

AND that the Jumo 222 could be made to work!!!
This has been thoroughly discussed elsewhere so I'm only going to summarize.

The Jumo 222A engine passed it's 100 hour endurance test during October 1941. Ju-288 prototypes powered by Jumo222 engines were flying during October 1941.

The massive Ostwerke engine plant was built from scratch (at a cost of 350 million marks) to produce the Jumo222. Factory construction began during July 1941 and was completed during March 1942. This plant was designed to produce 500 Jumo222 engines per month.

24 December 1941. Production of the Jumo222A engine at Ostwerke was cancelled for political reasons. For all practical purposes that spelled the end of the Ju-288 bomber program.

Ome_Joop

Post by Ome_Joop » 20 Jul 2010, 03:33

phylo_roadking wrote: At the minute that's like saying the "maximum speed" of the Fw 187 was 395 mph...and not necessarily remembering that THAT speed was achieved in special record-setting flights in October 1939 - at the cost of skin buckling and distortion! Its "normal" maximum speed was down at 329 mph!!! :wink: A whopping 66mph LESS...
With atleast 600 hp less than the FW187V7 (2x DB600) the FW187A-0 (2x JuMo 210) was of course a "bit" slower:)
The first Ju86P bombing sortie over England was the aforementioned 24th August 1942 (look how long it took the Germans to develop a hi-altitude BOMBER! )But the first "P" intercepted on a recce sortie was the 26th of June that year.

...and the first Ju86P intecepted over England was...August 1942! the Special Service Flight operated out of Northolt using Spitfire IX which, according to Pilot Officer Emanuel Galitzine -
When did the Ju-86P started to fly over the UK (i'm unfortunatly not that knowledgable about the Ju-86)?

JuMo 222 is one of classic examples of how not to do it. The engine could have been what the Luftwaffe was waiting for but in the end the only thing happening was precisely that: waiting for that!

Roddoss72

Post by Roddoss72 » 20 Jul 2010, 03:57

phylo_roadking wrote:And there we have the really big problem in a nutshell - time. For example - the Mosquito vs. the Me410. The 410 had to grow out of the "failed" 210, and thus arrived in service in 1943....whereas the Mosquito predated it by two years at every stage. And despite being a "later" aircraft - it was still a relative failure. Germany simply never picked up all those lost years of model-on-model, mark-on-mark development experience - and it was still by the middle of the war, their "high point", causing German designers to throw up turkeys, even with the resources of "Totalische Krieg" to throw at them :wink:

The Nazis could have thrown everything at the problem in the middle of the 1930s - but they had over a decade of missed experience designing military aircraft to make up, and they never quite managed it - even with the way the war telescoped development times :wink: If they'd started the war with a strategic bomber force of aircraft of the capacity of the He177 - they'd have to have been aircraft designed in 1935-36 - and as I've told Roddoss before elsewhere, the bombers that Germany WAS designing in 1935-36 were truly poor 8O You can't simply magic that vital missed decade out of existence.
And i have always have told you that the Death of General Walther Wever had a dramatic history altering course for the Luftwaffe, but you seem to think it had no effect.

I should point out that as far as i can gather that the Do-19 and Ju-89 weren't cancelled by General Walther Wever but were cancelled by General Albert Kesselring.

Interesting points in history.

He-177

3rd June 1936 RLM issues specifications for a Heavy Strategic Bomber.
2nd June 1937 RLM issues Heinkel with an order to build a mock-up of its design
? November 1937 Heinkel completes its mock-up
5th November 1937 RLM designates the aircraft the official designation of RLM Type Number 8-177.
5th November 1937 RLM interference orders Heinkel that the design be changed to accomidate dive bombing capabilities.

From this point on we know of the difficulties of what Heinkel was facing with the specifications of having to incorporate this specification into the design, Heinkel never could iron out all of the faults that this direct interference caused. Further point, when Heinkel suggested that the DB-606 engines be replaced, the RLM rejected this out of hand, even Damlier Benz considerd that it was a poor choice for the He-177, but agian the RLM demanded that the DB-606 be used.

From 1939 to 1943 Heinkel struggled with the He-177 it was in effect a lemon, as one problem was fixed another occured because of that remedy, the main problem was that of the continuance of the Wing/Engine make up.

Heinkel had secretly decided that it would redesign the He-177 as an in-house project, the design would replace the DB-606 engines and replace them with four seperate DB-603 engines, and modified the aircraft accordingly to the engine design changes, plus drop the dive bombing capability.

In May 1943 Adolf Hitler place a demand on the RLM to the effect that Germany must have a strategic bomber to attack London and other major cities in Britian. Heinkel had an advocate that the RLM could not reject this time around, so work proceded, the new aircraft bourne was the He-277, the only real difference was the addition of a twin fin construct to overcome handling problems and it achieved that, but it was too late and less than 14 months later He-277 was cancelled as fighter production became a priority.

The main problem was that Germany could and did make an excellent strategic heavy bomber, but that was in February 1944. Had the RLM under General Albert Kesselring not continued to cause permanent interference in the development of the He-177 as it should have, even refusing Heinkel and Daimler Benz to alter the design was criminal, his and with Reichmarschall Hermann Göring hand in interference they deprived the Luftwaffe with an excellent aircraft.

The Luftwaffe could have had an effective weapon and by 1942 begun their own thousand bomber raids on London or any other target, but that is for another section of the forum.

phylo_roadking

Re: Heinkel 177

Post by phylo_roadking » 20 Jul 2010, 04:11

And i have always have told you that the Death of General Walther Wever had a dramatic history altering course for the Luftwaffe, but you seem to think it had no effect.
The death - or life - of one General CANNOT affect the speed of development (or not!) of an ENTIRE national aviation industry AND an ENTIRE aviation ENGINE industry! 8O He might indeed have driven the development of a SMALL strategic force as part of a balanced Luftwaffe....

BUT as mentioned before all that HE could achieve was that Germany would enter the war with a force of bombers first designed in the middle of the 1930s with all the major disadvantages, errors and mistakes that THAT entailed in the German aviation industry...

Wever was JUST a commanding General - HE wasn't going to do one single thing that would make a German bomber aircraft better than it otherwise would have been. HE wouldn't ever have put pencil to drawing board, or spanner to nut.

Since this was discussed have you bothered going and reading ANY of the books recommended to you???
The main problem was that Germany could and did make an excellent strategic heavy bomber, but that was in February 1944
How do you KNOW that??? :lol: NO He277 was EVER completed. It TOO could have been a lemon - we just do not know, it never flew. There were plenty of German designs that looked great on paper - but were turkeys when they got off the ground.

And if you're just referring to the He177 there as being "excellent" by February 1944 - even from Wiki...
Although the He 177 entered service in 1942 it was still far from operational. In an assessment of the aircraft on April 9, 1942 the newly activated Erprobungsstaffel 177 reported that the Greif had good flying characteristics, but had unacceptable engine troubles and deficits with the airframe strength. As an emergency measure it was used to supply the encircled 6th Armee at Stalingrad where it was determined that it was totally unsuited for the transport role, carrying a little more cargo than the appreciably smaller and infinitely more reliable Heinkel He 111, and was useless for the evacuation of wounded troops. As a result the He 177s reverted to bombing and flak-suppression missions in support of the Wehrmacht in the vicinity of Stalingrad. Only thirteen missions were flown and seven of the He 177s crashed in flames without any action attributable to the enemy
As the war progressed, He 177 operations became increasingly desultory. Fuel and personnel shortages presented insurmountable difficulties, and He 177s were sitting on airfields all over Europe awaiting the replacement of engines or engine related modifications. Serviceability also was invariably low as a result of last-minute mishaps before operations. On the night of February 13, 1944 as part of Operation Steinbock, fourteen He 177 taxied out on a bombing mission, thirteen took off, one suffering a burst tire, eight promptly returned to base with overheating or burning engines. Of the four He 177s which did reach London one was shot down by night fighters.
As for how the operational article FLEW...
British Royal Navy test pilot Eric Brown related in his book, Wings of the Luftwaffe, about the visual appearance and in-flight handling characteristics of the He 177 A-5 version, one of which he flew as a captured aircraft late in the war:
Its ground stance reminded me vividly of a Short Stirling which had sunk to its knees. In fact if there had been a choice between the Stirling and the He 177 as aesthetically the least appealling of bombers then I think the German contender would have won by a short head. A check of stability showed the aircraft to be positive about all axes, but the controls were all remarkably light for such a large aircraft. Indeed I had the feeling that the elevator was dangerously light and I was all too aware of the intelligence reports of He 177s breaking up in the air so I decided to treat this control very gently. I began a cautious exploration of the aircraft's diving characteristics since the permissible acceleration was 2.3 g with a flying weight of 27 tonnes it was vital to know the exact weight of the He 177 at all times. The aircraft had an automatic pull-out device and an acceleration warning apparatus fitted, but it really was nailbiting to have to treat a giant like this immense Heinkel bomber as if it was made of glass. The stalling characteristics with flaps and undercarriage lowered the aircraft buffeted violently at 140 km/h (87 mph) before the nose dropped at 135 km/h (84 mph). The buffet experienced was so violent that I had some concerns over structural damage. Somehow the He 177 always conveyed an impression of fragility despite its size

Roddoss72

Post by Roddoss72 » 20 Jul 2010, 05:05

You are so determined to counter what i wrote you did not even read it, you couldn't have. Plus you are untruthful as to the completion of the He 277 as a far as i can assertain up 26 were built and several being flown.

Refer you to

http://www.aviastar.org/air/germany/he-277.php

There you will find a photo of a complete He 277, now i know what you will say it is a fake, you can't bring yourself to acknowlege that it existed.

Plus, i know you did not read my post because at no stage did i suggest that the He 177 was and excellent bomber by 1944, show me where i wrote it, i was referring to the He 277 and not the He 177 as i describes as a lemon.

The only summary of the He 177 that it could have been an excellent strategic bomber had the RLM and Hermann Göring allowed Heinkel and Daimler Benz to do what it wanted to do once the fault s became apparent, but were denied that out of hand.

It is like the Air Ministery of the RAF continually saying to Avro and Rolls Royce to continue with the Manchester and Vulture engines, plus you have to modify the bomber to include dive bombing capabilities.

I have read the excerpt from Wiki about the He 177 and i agree with the excerpt, did i include it, no i did not, it would have proved how bad the He 177 was, to which i had already said it was a lemon.

And i am sorry you did not read my post.

Takao

Post by Takao » 20 Jul 2010, 08:21

Come now phylo, since when do we "trust" Wiki...

The source used by Wiki was a matter of some contention here staring at post #24 by DerAdlerIstGelandet
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/engine ... 699-2.html

Roddoss72

Post by Roddoss72 » 20 Jul 2010, 10:15

Takao wrote:Come now phylo, since when do we "trust" Wiki...

The source used by Wiki was a matter of some contention here staring at post #24 by DerAdlerIstGelandet
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/engine ... 699-2.html
Very good Takao

It is usually Phylo telling us not to believe in Wiki.

Dave Bender

Post by Dave Bender » 20 Jul 2010, 14:21

He-277 was cancelled as fighter production became a priority.
I agree. However the He-177 and/or He-277 won't be production ready before 1942 even if RLM and Heinkel do everything right.

The Ju-288 and Jumo222 engine were ready to enter mass production during the spring of 1942. Given a choice I would cancel the He-177 / He-277 and produce the Ju-288. It's less expensive and more effective. The Ju-288 is also a lot more survivable then old style high altitude heavy bombers like the He-277 and B-29.

Tim Smith

Post by Tim Smith » 20 Jul 2010, 16:51

Dave Bender wrote: The Ju-288 and Jumo222 engine were ready to enter mass production during the spring of 1942.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Only in Junkers' dreams!

Von Schadewald

Post by Von Schadewald » 20 Jul 2010, 19:52

According to Brown the He177 gave the impression of "fragility".

http://www.falconsquadron.sevenpennynig ... o.uk/?p=48

It took Johnny several passes in an I16 with 2 Shvaks and 2 Shkas to down his Greif.

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”