Salamander or Komet on the eastern front?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
crocodile

Salamander or Komet on the eastern front?

Post by crocodile » 10 Oct 2002 19:59

Was any of these jet- fighters in use on the eastern front? If so, how did they perform against the red airforce?

Marcus

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 10 Oct 2002 20:40

As I have heard, they were only tested on the western front. The Salamander didn't even see much action here, and I doubt that they were used at all on the eastern front - even though, it is never possible to know for certain...

Chrisrtian

Erich

Post by Erich » 11 Oct 2002 05:36

Neither one was used on the zost Front. The Heinkel was test flown repeatedly by JG 1 during the closing weeks of the war and there was attrition to the pilots due to the weak fuselage structure of the a/c terminating it sometimes while in mid flight, as it was common for the wings to completely rip off the fuselage.
The Komet flown by JG 400 saw very limited action in 1945 due to the loss of fuels and the constant movement of the tiny rocket Geschwader during those months january through march 45 where the rest of the personell were either sent to JG 7 or the feld divisions.

E

paddywhack

Post by paddywhack » 11 Oct 2002 11:06

what intresting was that the salamander was suspose to be used by hitler youth poiltes with little training but the fact is that it toke a very very exsperienced poilte to fly it!!!
as far as i know only the 262 was used in any way on the eastern front!

gabriel pagliarani

Evidences

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 17 Oct 2002 16:18

I am collecting some evidences about the presence of ex-JG 400 training units in Legnica Airport (Legnica=Leignitz), well known as "Udetfeld" in Southern Silesia, actual Poland. Almost 3 italian republican pilots (or ground crew-men) died there KIA and they were buried somewhere in a round, in the last month of war. In all the reports and whitnesses I had found there is an hard evidence of a fierce struggle against incoming Russian heavy-armoured troops.. but there is not a photo or an eligible document about the use of Me-163 against Soviets. In my poor opinion it was extremely probable.

LukeFF

Post by LukeFF » 30 Nov 2002 02:07

Erich wrote:Neither one was used on the zost Front. The Heinkel was test flown repeatedly by JG 1 during the closing weeks of the war and there was attrition to the pilots due to the weak fuselage structure of the a/c terminating it sometimes while in mid flight, as it was common for the wings to completely rip off the fuselage.

Not quite correct. ;) VVS ace Ivan Khozedub encountered a german jet fighter late in the war, which he described as having an "engine over the fuselage." However, he later reported the plane as a Messerchmitt, so it was recorded as a 262.

In addition, according to Russian archives, the first 162's captured by the Soviets were in the Poland/Prussia region. One VVS pilot (apparently an ace) sat in one of the planes and accidentally launched the ejection seat, which resulted in him being hospitalized for the next 6 months. This also happened in Poland.

gabriel pagliarani

Nice

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 02 Dec 2002 10:34

It 'd be nice to know exactly where in Poland...I am focusing on Legnica Int'l Airport as ex "Udetfeld" german air base. After the conjuction within Americans and Russians ground troops in Czech Republic is a non-sense to talk about West and East fronts: the Reich was enveloped in a bag.
Gabriel Pagliarani

Erich

Post by Erich » 03 Dec 2002 03:06

What do you mean not quite correct ? A 262 is far different than the lowly He 162. Gabriele most likely if indeed captured and they may have been pieced He's, it would be a couple of defunct machines from JG 1 which was based at Insteburg. The unit moved to Leck and surrendered these death machines to the RAF.

E

Edward L. Hsiao

Re: Salamander or Komet on the eastern front?

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 19 Nov 2019 05:14

This is a pretty interesting topic indeed.

Edward L. Hsiao

Grzesio

Re: Salamander or Komet on the eastern front?

Post by Grzesio » 19 Nov 2019 09:57

The Me 163 was not used on the Eastern front in combat, but a number of Me 163 airfields was located in present Poland. The most important being Udetfeld (where acceptance flights were conducted from the autumn of 1944 and Erg.Staffel 400 and V.(Erg.)/JG 2 were formed), but there was also II./JG 400 in the the Stettin area (Stettin-Altdamm and Stargard-Kluetzow airbases), then V.(Erg.)/JG was was probably also present in Sprottau and Brieg.
Acceptance flights of Me 163 were also being made in Jesau in East Prussia (before moving them to Udetfeld and eventually to Dessau).

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”