Maj. Eltz

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Rossano

Maj. Eltz

Post by Rossano » 17 Oct 2017, 18:23

Hello
1) In Hans list, and in all DALs too, he is reported as „Eltz“
In one Karteikarte he is reported as „Graf von Eltz“
In other lists as „Graf zu Eltz“ and in still others as „Graf von u. zu Eltz“
What is the 100%-correct name (pls. from his Personalakte or official documents only) of the 4 above in WW2 only ?
2) In Hans list, and in one Karteikarte, he is reported as „Erwin“
But in many other lists as „Erwein-Karl“.
So, what is the 100%-correct first name (from his Personalakte or official documents only) of the 2 above in WW2 only ?
Thanks, Rossano

Oberst Stucks

Re: Maj. Eltz

Post by Oberst Stucks » 17 Oct 2017, 18:49

I don't know about the first name, but I can assure that the surname is Graf von und zu Eltz, as the Eltz family is still prominent in Germany and owning their feudal holding still today.
Kindest regards,
Stucks

Rossano

Post by Rossano » 17 Oct 2017, 19:23

Thanks, but is it possible that during WW2 (or part of it) his name was modified like in all DALs in Eltz only (without nobility like it happened with other noble people during the war) ? I am interested in the names as used in WW2 only........(not before, not after)

Oberst Stucks

Post by Oberst Stucks » 17 Oct 2017, 21:11

Greetings!
I understand, I'll take a look in my documents and sources and report to you as soon as possible. I am sure I have something on the matter.
Kindest regards,
Stucks

Dave Danner

Post by Dave Danner » 18 Oct 2017, 03:16

His full name was Erwein Karl Johann Nepomuk Lukas Graf und Edler Herr von und zu Eltz genannt Faust von Stromberg. The title and surname is commonly shortened to "Graf von u. zu Eltz" or just "Graf zu Eltz". I do not think you will find a consistent practice in Army sources. Your average IIa or HPA file clerk was not likely an expert on noble naming practices.

*18.10.1912 in Semmering, Niederösterreich

Rossano

Post by Rossano » 18 Oct 2017, 07:40

Many thanks Dave !
So "Erwein Karl" is confirmed (and Erwin is wrong).
But why all DALs report him without title ? I was told in this Forum that many austrian noble officers were deprived of their title during WW2. Is that the case of Eltz too ? As I said I am interested in names during WW2 only. I am not interested if pre war or post war he had this title.
To me it is important to know whether he had the title during the war (or part of it) or not.
Your opinion ? Depending on that I' ll register him either as Gf. von u. zu Eltz or Eltz only.
Friendly, Rossano

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”