Generalmajor Julius von Bernuth

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Dieter Zinke & Elwyn W.
Requin Marteau

Generalmajor Julius von Bernuth

Postby Requin Marteau » 23 Aug 2002 10:49

Who is this General Blutorden' s holder?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Glenn2438
Host - Austria-Hungary section

Postby Glenn2438 » 23 Aug 2002 14:56

The officer in your photograph is Generalmajor Julius von Bernuth:
Born 12 Aug 1897 and killed in an aircrash on the 12th of July 1942 at Ssochkranaja as chief of staff of the 4th Panzer Army.
Awarded the Knight's Cross on the 5th of August 1940 as chief of staff of XV. Panzer-Korps.

Glenn

Stauffenberg II

Place of death of Julius von Bernuth

Postby Stauffenberg II » 01 Dec 2017 12:59

Dear all,

I am currently stuck in finding this mystery place of death of Gen. Maj. Julius von Bernuth called Ssochkranaja. It is sometimes spelled Sokranaja, sometimes the place is spelled with the ending "-aya".
Where the heck is it? I know that his plane crashed, presumably by enemy fire and that parts of a near division where ordered to examine the place of death.
But what exactly is the correct designation and more important ... where is it?
Volksbund isn´t helpful as it list his grave being in Apscheronk near Maikop (I fear a mistake).

Thanks for any assistance,
Jürgen

mattyboy

Re: Julius von Bernuth

Postby mattyboy » 01 Dec 2017 13:56

Great photo! and thanks to Glenn for the ID.
Sorry Jürgen that I cannot help with your query.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Re: Place of death of Julius von Bernuth

Postby Waleed Y. Majeed » 01 Dec 2017 14:12

Could it be near Sumy in the Ukraine? Besides his name, that's what comes up when I google it. Lexikon der Wehrmacht has him laid to rest in the Friedhof Frolowskij.
w

JakeV

Postby JakeV » 01 Dec 2017 15:07

The village is also called Sokhrannaja (original spelling: Сохранная) in another source describing Bernuth's death. I couldn't find a village with that exact name, however in another site concerning the history of the 35th Guards Rifle Division, there is a helpful clue; the division participated in Operation Little Saturn and in this context, a cluster of villages is mentioned: Malaja Losowka, Kutejnikowo, Aleksejewo-Losowskoje, selo (=village) Sokhrannaja. The first three can be found in the Rostov Oblast, near the village of Sokhranowka (Сохрановка) which I believe corresponds to the place in question.

If there has been a name change in an otherwise unknown village in Russia, I don't think someone could necessarily find the information in the web, so maybe it's the correct place after all. Plus, it is the same village mentioned here, albeit with a question mark.

Stauffenberg II

Postby Stauffenberg II » 01 Dec 2017 22:07

Jake, you did a great job and I think you are right. The 79. Division investigating the place of crash could well cross this area moving from Kupjansk/Woltschansk area to Stalingrad.
Oh well, finding the graves and places of death in Russia is sometimes the hell of a job. Its amazing that there is obviously no continuity in exact village designations ...

askropp

Generalmajor Julius von Bernuth (1897-1942)

Postby askropp » 13 Jan 2018 02:36

Do you know these documents from NARA T-313 R-355? Djogtewo (Dyogtevo) is some distance south of Sokhranovka, on the road to Millerovo. Postojalyj (Postoyaly) is northwest of Rossosh. Ticho Shurawskaja must be Tikhaya Zhuravka, which is in fact just northeast (not northwest) of Sokhranovka. I add a sheet of the 79. ID report that shows Bernuth was killed while the plane was still in the air, not "murdered" as at least one revisionist website claims.

940.jpg

948.jpg

951.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Er ist wieder da. Aber auch dieses Mal wird er nicht siegen!

graveland

Re: Generalmajor Julius von Bernuth

Postby graveland » 13 Jan 2018 15:30

Justo great! Thank you, askropp.

Return to “Axis Biographical Research”