The suicide of Generaladmiral von Friedeburg

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 10 Apr 2007, 17:08

An example of suicide through shame of surrender was that of Admiral von Friedeburg. He had been present at both the surrender of the German forces in the north of Germany at Lüneburg Heath and also at Reims. Placed under arrest at Flensburg with the other members of the Dönitz government, von Friedeburg chose to kill himself with a cyanide ampule in a toilet. His body was carried into his quarters and placed on a cot where it was photographed.
An interesting addition to this story is that his Knights Cross of the War Merit Cross with Swords that he was wearing around his neck (visible in one photo) at the time was removed and disappeared. An investigation was carried out by the British authorities, but the award was not returned. The British issued an official apology to Dönitz for this theft.
Max.
Attachments
Friedeburg suicide (2).jpg
Friedeburg suicide (2).jpg (43.99 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
Friedeburg suicide (1).jpg
Friedeburg suicide (1).jpg (37.96 KiB) Viewed 1413 times

FANGIO

Post by FANGIO » 11 Apr 2007, 05:59

Incredible pics Max, thanks a lot for sharing them. I´ve been looking for the second one a long time ago. I once saw that pic in an old book here in Buenos Aires, like two or three years ago. Seeing that pic the first time made a deep impression on me.
Best,

FANGIO

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”