Request for Identification of Generals and Admirals

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Dieter Zinke, askropp and Frech.
miocid

Re: Request for identification

Post by miocid » 29 Dec 2008 10:44

Thans Freiherr and Harmel for your reply.
Regarding the first general, the caption said the pictrure had been taken in Norway but might be wrong. Still I do not think he resembles Adolf WESTHOFF.
The third general is in quite a few pictures in the NAFA archives attending official shows in Oslo.
With regards to the Mountain Troops general I have never seen a picture of Ernst SCHLEMMER. Sometime ago I saw the attached picture on e-bay. They called him SCHLEMMER commander of the 99 GJR. I don´t know if name and assignment are correct.
One thing is for sure, the picture posted by Freiherr to compare with is Hans SCHLEMMER. (Look at the ears...).
HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dieter Zinke
Forum Staff

Post by Dieter Zinke » 29 Dec 2008 11:42

miocid wrote:The pictures of german generals in Norway posted recently by Simon Orchard made me remember the unidentified generals in Norway that were in my files. I hope they will be identified.
Here they are.
I think the Luftwaffen-General is Generalstabsarzt Dr. med. Kurt Wenzig, Luftflottenarzt 5 (01.10.1941 - 05.08.1944)

See Ehrenzeichen des Deutschen Roten Kreuzes, Verdienstkreuz

Dieter Z.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 29 Dec 2008 18:38

Hi Miocid,

The pic I posted was with Dietl and v Hengl, both as generals and Dietl with RK -- so the pic was definitely taken in Norway. My doubt, however, was the source -- James P. Lucas -- a book published 28 years ago and well, shall I say, he was more along the lines of Kurowski and I wouldn't trust him that it was Ernst. In any case, my post would not have been Hans Schlemmer -- he was with Geb Art Rgt 111 (coincidentally under 2 Geb Div where Ernst Schlemmer commanded at one point) but only before the war and shortly in to the beginning of the war before the invasion of Norway. He then commanded ArtRgt 7 ( Heerestruppe?) and then spent a long time in Russia with 134 Div. Don't think he was in Norway at all.

I have seen an unidentified general in a 2 Geb Div album with a very triangular face like that. I have written to the owner to ask for permssion to post it.

Lastly, do you have a pic of Westhoff you can post? I have never seen him before.

Cheers
Freiherr

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 29 Dec 2008 18:45

Defintely Wenzig.

Dieter, you had posted a while back a pic with lots of LW medical officers. Wenzig there had his awards in exactly the same positions.

Cheers
Freiherr

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 29 Dec 2008 22:58

This belongs to collector Tore Eggan. He has kindly let me post it. As you can see, if this was Ernst Schlemmer, he too was a slight man with similar facial features.

Cheers
Freiherr

miocid

Post by miocid » 30 Dec 2008 10:19

Thanks Dieter for the identification of Kurt WENZIG. He certainly resembles the portrait shown on the Biblio books.
Regarding the general with him on the same picture , he looks very much Gen.Lt. Maximilian SIRY.
Kelig says he was Höh.Küsten-arko Nord between 15.5.43 and Jan. 45. I would appreciate if you could confirm this.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

miocid

Post by miocid » 31 Dec 2008 12:40

This is another picture from ebay. It shows clearly Hans von SALMUTH and Hans von SPONECK, so the picture must have been taken on the second half of 1941 when SALMUTH was commander of XXX AK.
Based on this I think I have been able to identify some of the people.
I hope somebody will identify the unknown ones.
1.-Hans von SALMUTH Kommandierender General des XXX AK.
2.-Hans Graf von SPONECK Kommandeur 22 ID..
3.-Walter BOTSCH, Oberst, Chef Gen.Stab XXX AK
4.-Kurt ANGER, Gen.maj. Arko 110.
5.-Unknown.
6.-Unknown ( He can NOT be THUMM).
7.-Otto ROETTIG, Kommandeur 198 ID.

harmel

Post by harmel » 31 Dec 2008 14:55

Hi Miocid,nice one of von Salmuth (30 AK),no 6 I would say is
Generalleutnant Rene de L Homme Courbiere Cmdr of the
213th Security Division which was with 3O AK at the time.
Harmel

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 31 Dec 2008 20:06

Nice one indeed. :P :P

No5 was Walter Wittke, Kmdr 170 Div
Cheers
Freiherr

PS I also have the sneaky suspicion that Mj Hans Georg Eismann was in the back rows somewhere who was v Salmuth's Ia. As you know, he rose to become Ia of HrGr Weichsel at the end of the war. Vaguely recall a book by him was recently published in German. If so, then there's a chance we could ID him from there.

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 02 Jan 2009 13:41

Hi Miocid,

Whoever it was it was your man!

Cheers
Freiherr

miocid

Post by miocid » 02 Jan 2009 15:39

Freiherr,
I fully agree with you-
The guy might be austrian. He is not wearing the EK First Class. I know that ROSSI has been recently identified but these two pictures leave the door still open for other possibilities....
Cheers!

harmel

Post by harmel » 02 Jan 2009 17:14

Hi Elwyn,the last pic you posted looks like Gen der Inf Emmerich von Nagy.
Harmel

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 03 Jan 2009 03:56

Yes very nice! Austrian from St Paul nach Villach :D

Cheers
Elwyh

graveland

Post by graveland » 07 Jan 2009 18:27

I do not know if this general has been already identified, well.....General der Gebirgstruppe Kurt VERSOCK.

Cheers,

Gregg.

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 08 Jan 2009 01:39

Nice one Gregg. :lol:

Thank you very much.

Freiherr

Return to “Axis Biographical Research”