Request for Identification of Generals and Admirals

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Dieter Zinke, askropp and Frech.
Gareth Collins

Post by Gareth Collins » 05 Jan 2005 13:08

Dieter Zinke wrote:
VJK wrote:Hi!
One more mystery guest signing in... This General surrendered the German troops in the Karlsbad, Czechoslovakia area to the US 1. Infantry Div. in May, 1945. I can't make out the neck order he is wearing, but it doesn't look like the RK (PlM perhaps?). Anyone any ideas as to his identity please?
Regards,
VJK

Hallo VJK, Vienna and Stauffenberg,

if our general wears indeed the RK KVK with swords we have surprisingly not a great choice for our research! No Quartiermeister and no member of the Staff of the 7th army comes into question.
Therefore a heretical question:
Could it be the General der Artillerie Herbert Osterkamp??
The former "Chef des Heeresverwaltungsamtes" was then Stellvertretender Kommandierender General und Befehlshaber im Wehrkreis XII (Wiesbaden).
The rest of his staff came to Wehrkreis XIII (Nürnberg). Is it possible and imaginable that they retired to Karlsbad with the 7th army ??
Unfortunately I have at the moment no pic of Osterkamp.

Dieter

Maybe the Kommandant, Generalleutnant Herbert Stimmel?

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 05 Jan 2005 14:24

Hi Gareth,

The general to the extreme right in the first pic did look like Gen Kurt von Tippelskirch. He was Kmdr, 12 Corp 2/43 to 6/44 and commander of 4 AOK 6/44 to 7/44.

39 Pz Corp was in the vicinity and the second general from the right in the first pic looks like Gen Robert Martinek.

In the second pic, the profile of the general on the extreme right hand size looks less like von Tippelskich but more like GenLt Otto Schünemann, also briefly commander of 39 Pz Corp after Martinek in 6/44.

Cheers
Freiherr

Vienna

Post by Vienna » 05 Jan 2005 21:56

Hi!

"Karlsbad" (German language)

I think Dieter is right.

Iff we study the link http://www.87thinfantrydivision.com/His ... 00019.html
it is possible that we have the right answer.

Regards to all reseachers

Vienna

VJK

Post by VJK » 06 Jan 2005 08:36

Hi fellow researchers!

As much as I would desperately like to find a pic of the elusive Osterkamp, I have my doubts for the following reasons:

1. The caption with the pic stated that our mystery General surrendered to the US 1st Inf. Div., whereas Vienna's link refers to the US 87th Inf. Div.;
2. Try as I may, I can't make out any pips on the General's shoulderboards, which makes him a Generalmajor.

I strongly suspect we are looking for a Generalmajor who may have the RK to the KVK with Swords (there can't be that many?).

Regards,

VJK

Vienna

Post by Vienna » 06 Jan 2005 10:28

Hi VJK!

First, with my post from 24.12.04 to you I agree with you.
But on the other hand the awards from Osterkamp could be correct (pipes ??) ....

The global surrender in CS is a special field with not much knowledge (also in our forum). It's a interesting subject for dicussion.

Regards

Vienna

Dieter Zinke
Forum Staff

Post by Dieter Zinke » 06 Jan 2005 12:15

Vienna wrote:Hi VJK!
First, with my post from 24.12.04 to you I agree with you. But on the other hand the awards from Osterkamp could be correct (pipes ??) ....
The global surrender in CS is a special field with not much knowledge (also in our forum). It's a interesting subject for dicussion.
Regards
Vienna

A weighty argument may be the fact that I saw this general several times some years ago in historical reports in the german TV. Always it was a longer sequence and always he was shown alone. To my opinion is this an allusion to a higher rank or position. And so we have again to discuss Osterkamp without any competitor. What shall we do !?! Where is a pic for comparison !?!

Dieter

VJK

Post by VJK » 06 Jan 2005 12:57

Hi Dieter!

The whole problem that there is no pic for comparison - Osterkamp is one of just a handful (approx. 5-6) of full Generals for whom no-one on this Forum has yet been able to find a picture. That is why I was so wishing it was him!

Best regards,

VJK

VJK

Post by VJK » 08 Jan 2005 20:18

Hi!

I'd like to introduce a new face to this thread - can anyone put a name to this Reichsheer Generalmajor please?

Regards,

VJK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Glenn2438
Host - Austria-Hungary section

Fischer

Post by Glenn2438 » 08 Jan 2005 20:41

Hi VJ,

Generalmajor Arnold Fischer: Artillerie-Führer IV, later char. Generalleutnant. The Commander's Cross of the Militär-St.-Heinrichs-Orden is a good clue!

Regards
Glenn

VJK

Post by VJK » 08 Jan 2005 20:53

Hi Glenn!

That was quick work, even for you!! :D

Many, many thanks,

best regards,

VJ

Dieter Zinke
Forum Staff

Post by Dieter Zinke » 13 Jan 2005 12:55

VJK wrote:Hi Dieter!
The whole problem that there is no pic for comparison - Osterkamp is one of just a handful (approx. 5-6) of full Generals for whom no-one on this Forum has yet been able to find a picture. That is why I was so wishing it was him!
Best regards,
VJK

The riddle is solved !!
It is definitively Osterkamp.

Look at
viewtopic.php?p=620240#620240

Dieter Zinke

VJK

Post by VJK » 13 Jan 2005 15:08

Dieter, you are a genius!! :D

You have single-handedly bought to light the first pics of Osterkamp, for which I and I'm sure many of our fellow researchers are truly grateful!

Many, many thanks and best regards,

VJK

Vienna

Post by Vienna » 13 Jan 2005 19:46

Hallo Dieter!

Gratuliere!

(The story from Tom Stafford - 347th Inf. Regiment/87th Inf.Div. - is correct)

Regards

Vienna

Stauffenberg II

Post by Stauffenberg II » 14 Jan 2005 10:01

Dear Dieter!

Thank you very much for Osterkamp. Much appreciated. Another one down. I would like to add my thanks for posting Gen. Lt. Dr. Walter, too.

Best regards!

PS: As regards the missing pics of full generals? Eugen Müller and Willi Moser will be (hopefully) unveiled in the next volume of Biblio Generals. Schneckenburger and Schroth both are sticky (although RKTs). :cry:

VJK

Post by VJK » 14 Jan 2005 15:24

Hi Stauffenberg II!

Here is a rather poor pic of Eugen Müller, but at least it's better than nothing until Biblio come to the rescue! That leaves just 6 Generals unaccounted for:

GdI Theodor Petsch (DKiG)
GdI Otto Schellert (DKiG)
GdI Willi Schneckenburger (RK, DKiG)

GdA Willi Moser (RK, DKiG)
GdA Karl Thoholte (DKiG)

GdKav Theodor Brantner

Best regards,

VJK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Axis Biographical Research”