Rudolf Witzig's Ultimate Rank?

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Mikey

Rudolf Witzig's Ultimate Rank?

Post by Mikey » 14 Jan 2003, 05:33

In Roger Edwards "GERMAN AIRBORNE TROOPS" the author states that Witzig's ultimate rank was Oberst.

Franz Kurowski, in "KNIGHTS CROSS HOLDERS OF THE FALLSCHIRMJAGER" claims Witzig's ultimate rank was Major.

Does anyone have tie breaking info? I'm looking for other sources to verify which actual, ultimate rank Herr Witzig attained.

Thanks in advance for helpful answers.

Mikey

Reme

Post by Reme » 21 Jan 2003, 00:02

I am reading a book called Kammando: German Special Forces of World War Two by James Lucas and he has two mission in which Witzig commanded. Operation "Granite", attack on Eben Emael, where Witzig is metioned as an Oberleutnant. Later, he is named as a Major in North Africa where he commanded a paratroop batallion code name "Blade Force".

Witzig appeared to be a valuable commodity to Germany, he definitely has brought honor to his name.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » 21 Jan 2003, 00:49

Hello Reme and welcome to the Forum! :D
Thanks for the info.
Witzig was an engineer and leader of assault party "Granite," which was part of the larger "Assault Group Koch" under Hauptman Walter Koch.
Eben Emael and Africa were relatively early operations and Witzig survived the war.
You are correct when you state that he was valuable to Germany. He was the consumate soldier. Professional throughout his career.
He was awarded the German Cross in Gold for duty in Russia, the Knights Cross (for Eben Emael) and later the Oak Leaves to the Iron Cross while fighting defensive battles in France. He was also on the Luftwaffe Honor Roll.
As commanding officer of "I Battalion, 21st Parachute Pioneer Battalion, Witzig and his unit were mentioned in the supplement to the Wehrmacht communique 8 Aug, 1944 after destroying 27 enemy tanks."***

I'm still looking for the answer to the ultimate rank question.
Best regards and again, welcome to the Forum!
Mike

***Franz Kurowski---Knight's Cross Holders of the Fallschirmjager.

Ken McCanliss

Rudolf Witzig

Post by Ken McCanliss » 21 Jan 2003, 07:20

Beförderungen:

01.04.1937 Leutnant
01.08.1939 Oberleutnant
16.05.1940 Hauptmann
01.09.1942 Major
23.12.1955 Oberstleutnant (Bw)
01.10.1965 Oberst (Bw)

(Source: Die Ritterkreuzträger der Fallschirmjäger. Biblio Verlag, 1986)

Mikey

Post by Mikey » 22 Jan 2003, 00:54

:D :D :D
Wonderful Ken!
Thank you VERY MUCH!!!
Special thanks for providing the source!
:D :D :D

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”