Major Liebegott--German POW in America

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
dusty_shelf

Major Liebegott--German POW in America

Post by dusty_shelf » 28 Dec 2016, 21:19

I know this is a long shot but can only try! Hope to fully identify the man referenced below.

I recently acquired a book that belonged to what appears to have been a German officer held as a POW in the camp at Clinton, Mississippi. It is marked accordingly inside the cover and shows that it passed the camp censor. Written in pencil is "Maj. Liebegott, POWC, Clinton, Miss."

Through my many years of research on the camp, I have collected several inspection reports listing the officer prisoners. However, Liebegott does not appear on any of them. He could be one of a number of men who came in and out of the camp between inspections, although officers were moved less frequently than enlisted men. Could "Maj." be a shortened first name and Liebegott an enlisted prisoner?

Any help is appreciated.

askropp
Forum Staff

Re: Major Liebegott--German POW in America

Post by askropp » 28 Dec 2016, 22:30

Could "Maj." be a shortened first name?
Definitely not!
There are times in history when staying neutral means taking sides.

Rossano

Post by Rossano » 29 Dec 2016, 10:32

Hello
the only officer Liebegott I found is a Hptm. (Otto) in DAL (may 44)
I wonder whether he is Your man, but if so he should have been promoted to Maj. later because if he was taken prisoner earlier he can not be Your man. Is it known when+where he was taken prisoner ?
Rgds., Rossano

dusty_shelf

Post by dusty_shelf » 29 Dec 2016, 18:41

Unfortunately, I know nothing more about the man. Interestingly, the book appears to be a German textbook for the Russian language. I wonder if Liebegott saw time on the Russian Front.

dusty_shelf

Post by dusty_shelf » 28 Feb 2017, 23:48

Just a follow-up to this post. I was looking through some additional records for Camp Clinton, that is transfer orders, and found Major Martin Liebegott! He was in the camp for only about a month and a half before being sent on to another camp. Consequently, he was not present to be included in the official inspection reports done periodically.

I have had no luck in further identifying Maj. Martin Liebegott. He came in a large batch of officers that included General Botho Elster, the man who surrendered some 20,000 of his men. Could Liebegott have been on his staff or one of his unit commanders. These officers came to Camp Clinton in November 1944.

Rossano

Post by Rossano » 01 Mar 2017, 11:49

In the meantime I' ve got another Karteikarte with a Maj. d.R. Liebegott (no first name), but his Dienstlaufbahn is unfortunately very short, it starts with sept. 41 and it ends with dec. 42 only. I believe that he is Your man.
Maybe in future I' ll find another doc. revealing his assignment in sept. 44 (under GM. Elster)

dusty_shelf

Post by dusty_shelf » 19 Oct 2017, 14:44

It is my intent to use this book in a temporary display and I was hoping to include additional background on Major Liebegott. Any chance one of the members here has uncovered something new or has access to other sources?

Thanks.

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”