What is Guderian's position in german military innovation?

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Hikari

What is Guderian's position in german military innovation?

Post by Hikari » 02 Mar 2020, 06:26

Before I asking this question, there is a lot of biography about Guderian for sure, but after I reading "Guderian : Panzer pioneer or myth maker?' by Russell.A.Hart. instead to willing to know more about his personality, I more curious about what is Guderian really do in military innovation, as far as I know many high rank general also contribute to military innovation such like von Seeckt (Implemented several reforms and combined arms), Beck (Truppenführung), so what is Guderian's part in the whole innovation? (except from his memories) (I can't reading german so really can't reading his original memories)
Why I don't like Russell's book because I feel like he is very biased and not objective,such like after guderian hunt a deer he commented that guderian only wanted to restore the old noble habits, and he didn't using Germany archive nor guderian's private record (Nearly half of his source still Panzer leader or macksey's biography)(In other words, the vast majority of note are from second-hand materials).
So again, what is Guderian's contribution in the german military innovation?

VtwinVince

Re: What is Guderian's position in german military innovation?

Post by VtwinVince » 02 Mar 2020, 20:23

AFAIK his reputation is based on being an early proponent of the massing of armour in divisions, and he showed the effectiveness of this in his command of a Panzergruppe during the campaign in the west.

Hikari

Post by Hikari » 03 Mar 2020, 22:23

VtwinVince wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 20:23
AFAIK his reputation is based on being an early proponent of the massing of armour in divisions, and he showed the effectiveness of this in his command of a Panzergruppe during the campaign in the west.
So his reputation is because his ability on"using" "Blitzkrieg" but not invent“Blitzkrieg”

VtwinVince

Post by VtwinVince » 05 Mar 2020, 07:14

I think the whole concept of 'Blitzkrieg' has been somewhat debunked in recent years. But there is no doubt that Guderian was a master at and a strong proponent of the use of massed armour.

Hikari

Post by Hikari » 10 Mar 2020, 06:41

VtwinVince wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 07:14
I think the whole concept of 'Blitzkrieg' has been somewhat debunked in recent years. But there is no doubt that Guderian was a master at and a strong proponent of the use of massed armour.
Yeah, I know Blitzkrieg it's a postwar creation, but only thing I want know did Guderian take a part in German maneuver war development, thanks for answering, waiting for next comments.

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 10 Mar 2020, 16:01

Even disregarding his role as a practical armoured commanders, he figures as one of the innovative thinkers for his intellectual contributions. He published articles and books pre WW2 on armoured tactics. "Achtung Panzer!" is a very prescient book on how an armoured division shoudl work. First English translation: 1992.

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”