What were Adolf Galland's views on Nazism?

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Cybermat47

What were Adolf Galland's views on Nazism?

Post by Cybermat47 » 26 Jan 2021, 16:20

This is a topic I've been researching quite a bit recently, only to come across quite a bit of seemingly contradictory information, making it difficult to get a clear picture of the man.

Information I found that seems to support the idea that he wasn't a Nazi is mainly the fact that he was extremely close friends with RAF ace Robert Stanford Tuck, who was apparently Jewish (at least according to Nazi ideology), though none of the sources I've found provide much detail about Tuck's heritage, and some accounts of his life don't even contain the word 'Jew'.

Information that suggests that he was a supporter of Nazism is his association with Hans-Ulrich Rudel in post-war Argentina. Rudel was unquestionably a fanatical Nazi, as he had helped numerous war criminals, including Josef Mengele, escape to Argentina, as well as going into politics as a member of the neo-Nazi German Reich Party, so Galland's association with him is somewhat suspect, so much so that US apparently pressured the Bundeswehr not to recruit him.

I don't feel like I have enough information to make a decision either way yet. Do you guys have any good sources I can look at?

VtwinVince

Re: What were Adolf Galland's views on Nazism?

Post by VtwinVince » 26 Jan 2021, 19:39

'The Jews' were not the focal point of all proceedings in the last conflict, so asking a question like this is somewhat moot point IMHO. Luftwaffe officers had other things to contend with, and in Galland's case it was fraught with heavy responsibilities and politics. Looking for spurious clues such as who might have been Jewish and a friend of Gallands' seems ridiculous to me.

Cybermat47

Post by Cybermat47 » 27 Jan 2021, 03:00

VtwinVince wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 19:39
Looking for spurious clues such as who might have been Jewish and a friend of Gallands' seems ridiculous to me.
Wouldn't you say that it's unlikely for a Nazi to be close friends with a Jew?

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 27 Jan 2021, 03:28

Cybermat47 wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 03:00

Ask Goering about Milch.
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

Cybermat47

Post by Cybermat47 » 27 Jan 2021, 08:09

LineDoggie wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 03:28
Cybermat47 wrote:

Ask Goering about Milch.
Unlikely =/= impossible.

VtwinVince

Post by VtwinVince » 27 Jan 2021, 19:33

Actually, no. Such sweeping black-and-white statements do injustice to the social conditions of the time. In my own family I had officers of the Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS attending family functions with Jewish relatives who later died at Theresienstadt.

Skysoldier80

Post by Skysoldier80 » 29 Jan 2021, 06:32

Goring once stated “I decide who is Jewish!” This was particularly about Milch, however, there were Jews who were protected by high up Germans during the period. There was even a Jewish man who served in the Waffen SS.

Now Galland, he lost faith with his higher ups because of his view of senseless waste of German pilots. He was fired from his job and at the end of the war he brought together a bunch of his supporters and their formed their own advocacy fighter squadron of Me-262s and flew until their ran out of fuel.

George L Gregory

Post by George L Gregory » 09 Feb 2021, 22:34

LineDoggie wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 03:28
Cybermat47 wrote:

Ask Goering about Milch.
Milch wasn't considered a Jew by the Nazis. He was classified as a Mischling of the first degree according to the Nuremberg Laws and Hitler later declared him to be an Aryan.

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”